Share Crafts

Easy Tick Removal

Is there an easy way to remove ticks? I heard of one using cotton balls, but can't remember what the cotton ball was dipped in. Thanks and God bless.

By Joan from Lewes

Recent AnswersAnswer this Question

By Ginn 4 18 05/28/2010

Cotton Balls or Qtips dipped in alcohol. Let it sit for a few seconds. Then grab the tweezers. It is vital that you tweeze as close to the skin as possible so that they head doesn't stay lodged into the skin. pull it out and flush it down the toilet!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Deanj 917 05/29/2010

You can get the info from Google. Do NOT use alcohol as the previous poster suggested.

Do not twist the tick or turn the tweezers as you pull out the tick. Pull out straight with a slow, steady motion. Twisting may force more organisms into your body, and may result in the head or more of the mouthparts being left in your body.

Do not apply any substances to the tick before removing it, no alcohol or nail polish, no petroleum jelly or other ointments, and do not try to burn it out or otherwise convince to let go of you. It won't let go. It will just happily keep on sucking your blood and pumping pathogens into you.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By granny r 6 06/01/2010

I bought a neat little tool for tick removal at "Pets at home". Looks easy to use and was cheap to buy. As yet I haven't had a need to use it. I believe that you must always remove the head of the tick. Hope this helps you.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Sherri 10 552 06/01/2010

Do Not use alcohol! You can get a tool to remove them at your local pet store or you can always go to a Veterinarian and they will remove the tick for you.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Joan 8 33 06/05/2010

Thanks to all who responded. The liquid soap email (which is supposed to be false) is the one I was looking for. I plan to at least try it before I agree its just household lore. Thanks again and God bless.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

Here are questions related to Easy Tick Removal.

Question: Tick Removal

What is the best way to remove a tick from a human when it has started to bury in?

By Barbara

AnswerWas this interesting? Yes No

Most Recent Answer

By Deanj 917 04/11/2012

Go to and type in "removing ticks." There will be many sites for you to look at.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the comments that were provided then.

Archive: Easy Tick Removal

This tip is great, because it works in those places where it's sometimes difficult to get to with tweezers: between toes, in the middle of a head full of dark hair, etc.

Archive: Easy Tick Removal

<div align="right">

I was able to successfully remove an engorged woodtick off my dog, head and all, without having to actually touch the tick. The goal is to get it to come out head and all while it is alive. The reason for this is because the tick is able to separate it's body from it's head. The head will then die while still under the skin, and possibly cause an infection in much the same way a sliver would. (We found out that the stories about the ticks head continuing to live and burrow into the body is just the myths of urban legends). I'm sure this will work even if the tick isn't full of blood yet.

First, you have to squeeze the dog's skin underneath where the tick's mouth has gone into the flesh. Don't worry if you lose your grip on the skin, just continue to squeeze as if you're trying to squeeze out a big pimple. You will want to have another set of hands as I did to help you to be able to add the next step.

For the next step, you have to have rubbing alcohol that's in a spray bottle. Then, where you can see the tick's mouth going into the dog's flesh, spray liberally. It doesn't matter if you get it on the tick's body as well. I just kept spraying some, then I'd wait a few seconds, then spray again. Don't worry about the alcohol killing the tick, as they are hard to kill. After about a minute, or maybe two at the most, the tick backed itself out.

This is when you want to have a jar with rubbing alcohol in it to drown the tick. This will take a few hours, because, as I said before, they are hard to kill.

If I ever have to repeat this experience, (I hope I don't.) I would like to try vinegar to replace the rubbing alcohol, as I think it would work just as well. This tip would probably be helpful to remove ticks on humans also.

I apologize for the itching. You should see me as I submit this tip. My skin is crawling!

By GarlicQueen from Rocky Mountain House, Alberta, Canada

RE: Easy Tick Removal

I have an easier way. Take fingernail polish and simply continuously coat the tick until it literally falls off, head and all.
I first used a green, but I recommend a clear coat. Green looks a little funny and I wouldn't use polish remover on my pet. (06/26/2009)

By pogrl06

RE: Never use this method - Easy Tick Removal

Most folks have no idea what kind of tick is on them. Ticks carry horrible diseases and if removed improperly with things like alcohol, soap, or any other liquid, grabbing with finger nails or any other way that can cause the tick to empty its guts into you and you will have whatever disease it carries.

Don't use petroleum jelly, a hot match, nail polish, or other products to remove a tick.

Never use any liquids including soap or a hot match (the flame has been extinguished), as these can cause the tick to empty it's gut into the person.

Second half of video is Straw and Knot Method

One of the safest ways is the straw and knot method:

Use an ordinary drinking straw and place it at a 45 degree angle over the tick (the straw is simply being used as a guide to direct the knot). Next, take a length of thread and tie a loose knot at the top or midsection of the straw. Now, slide your knot down the straw to the site. Position the knot underneath the tick's belly, so that the knot will encircle the embedded part only. Slowly tighten the knot to close snugly around the jaws. Now, remove the straw and pull the thread in a steady upward motion. This will cause the tick to detach, without regurgitation.

This is a commercial version of the Straw and Knot method:

Jim in Jax (06/30/2009)

By smartfell-r