AdviceFood Tips

What is Sugar Cane?

Can anyone tell me, what is cane sugar? Is it the ordinary granulated sugar? Many thanks. Helen xx

By Helen from UK

As sugar comes from sugar cane OR sugar beets, I would guess that cane sugar comes from sugar cane. There could be additional reasons for naming it but I can't think of any off hand.

Sugar Cane is a juicy canes whose sap is a source of molasses and commercial sugar; kind of sweet to. Hope this helps!

Sugar cane is a tropical grass; roughly 75% of processed granulated sugar worldwide comes from the sugar cane plant.

What memories came rushing in when I read your post. My family is from Louisiana. My grandpa used to promise all the kids he would bring us some cane if we were good. At the end of a hot summer day nothing tasted as good as the 6-8 foot stalks of sugar cane he brought us to chew on, pure sugar. The stalks themselves look like the old fashioned bamboo fishing poles. Once we chewed through the stalk and got to the insides it was white and juicy fibrous texture. As kids it was such a treat.

Not nearly as good though as the fresh molasses he bought at the same stand that we smothered Grandmas biscuits in, ah the memories.

Anonymous

It's a cane plant that is processed to give us the sweet to make 'almost' every sweet thing we eat ;-) A close up photo of the cane to follow :-)