Rockery Plant With White Flowers

Question:

I am a member to the website - all the way from the UK! I think it's great - nothing like this at home! I am looking for a rockery plant that reminds me of my family garden when a child. It was low growing, had tiny white flowers mid spring onwards - very prolific - and grey, almost furry leaves. I remember my (now sadly departed) parents saying it was a good ground cover as spread so fast. I have never seen it in garden centres in the UK - anyone have any ideas?

Louise from Essexx, United Kingdom

Answer:

Hi Louise,

Okay. I'm going to take a stab at this, too. Here are my two choices for low-growing ground covers with silvery, wooly leaves and white flowers. How about Cerastium Tomentosum, also commonly known as Snow-In-Summer, Mouse Ear, Chickweed, or Silver Carpet? This low-growing ground cover has fuzzy, silver-gray leaves and produces a carpet of delicate white flowers that bloom from early May through June. Snow-In-Summer has a mounding habit, so when in bloom it resembles a carpet of snow-hence the name. It's also very compact in form so it easily suppresses weeds.

Here is some more information, including a picture:

My other choice would be Lamium maculatum, "White Nancy", otherwise known as spotted deadnettle. Another low-growing ground cover, this Lamium grows approximately 6 to 8 inches high, and features variegated silver/white leaves with green margins that have a fuzzy appearance. Its flowers bloom from early spring to mid-summer, and its mat-like form is also great for smothering weeds.

Here is a picture:

I can't think of a gardener who wouldn't love to talk about his or her plants with curious passerby. If you don't feel you can summon the courage to knock on his or her door, why not leave compliments and questions (and your email address) on the doorstep via some pretty stationary? You will probably make someone's day!

Good luck!

Ellen

About The Author: Ellen Brown is an environmental writer and photographer and the owner of Sustainable Media, an environmental media company that specializes in helping businesses and organizations promote eco-friendly products and services. Contact her on the web at http://www.sustainable-media.com

Hi guys. Thanks for replies. Sorry to take so long to get back on this. It definitely wasn't rock cress or alyssum as I have them in my garden now and the leaves are too green. I will try and find picture of Lambs Ear (any ideas?). My mum's plant had very small grey soft furry leaves and was very low growing. Lived all year round and flowered all spring thru to autumn and smothered weeds. (You can see why I liked it so). Also had tendency to die off underneath and go crispy and brown though -bit like Abretia does. By pure chance I have seen it in a front garden - tucked into a pcoket in a low wall this week - now just need to pluck up courage to knock on their door!! Louise

Arabis?

April 21, 2008 Flag

I am a member to the website - all the way from the UK! I think it's great - nothing like this at home! I am looking for a rockery plant that reminds me of my family garden when a child. It was low growing, had tiny white flowers mid spring onwards - very prolific - and grey, almost furry leaves. I remember my (now sadly departed) parents saying it was a good ground cover as spread so fast. I have never seen it in garden centres in the UK - anyone have any ideas? Thanks Louise in Essex, UK

Louise from Essexx, United Kingdom

Answers:

Rockery Plant With White Flowers

I think what you're looking for is "Sweet Alyssum", "Candytuft", or the white variety of "Phlox". These are condsidered very old-fashioned in America and it's hard to find plants. You have to start from seeds. (04/03/2008)

By perfumed fan

Rockery Plant With White Flowers

Mmmm, have you considered rockcress or snow in summer? Check out this web page for some links to ground covers.
http://www.ext.colostate.edu/PUBS/GARDEN/07230.html (04/03/2008)

By Susan

Rockery Plant With White Flowers

Try looking for "rare and old plants" on Google. I think she's right about Alyssum, but I would think you could find the plants somewhere. Good luck and God bless you. (04/04/2008)

By

Rockery Plant With White Flowers

I don't think it's alyssum because they don't have grey furry leaves. I don't know if lamb's ear gets flowers, but they definitely have the grey furry leaves and spread as a ground cover. (04/04/2008)

By Lynn Beth

Rockery Plant With White Flowers

The plant you are looking for is called white rock, we also had it at the family garden. I am trying to find some my self. That is how I came across this page. (04/05/2008)

By alan

Rockery Plant With White Flowers

You might be talking about lambs ear. They describe what you are talking about. (04/12/2008)

By WANDA

Rockery Plant With White Flowers

It seems you're talking about a plant called lambs ear. It is grey, soft, and velvety and spreads fast. (04/12/2008)

By WANDA [GUEST POST]

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Home and Garden Gardening AdviceMay 29, 2008
Europe on a globe.
Plant Hardiness Zones for France
Sun Star Plant
Caring for a Sun Star Plant
Woman with White Hair
Caring for White Hair
Selecting Valentine's Day Flowers, A bouquet of fresh cut roses for Valentine's Day
Selecting Valentine's Day Flowers
🎉
🎄