Finding a Playmate for My Dog

I want a playmate for my 1yr old dachshund but I can't afford the expense of another pet. People have playdates for their children so why not an occasional playdate for Lester? Does anyone have any suggestions on how I would find such a dog and his owner? He goes to Petsmart day care on occasion but that's not enough. I don't have friends with dogs and I don't know neighbors.

Betty from Lubbock, TX

To celebrate the new year we are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards for people who answer questions on ThriftyFun in January! Click here to find out more...

Get friendly with your vet's receptionist and let her/him know what you're looking for. You could also run a newspaper ad but that might be risky...too many bad guys out there! I'd start with the vet office.

You could advertise as an hourly dog sitter or perhaps a weekend sitter.

Take your dog out on a leash for his walks. You may meet other dog owners or other dog walkers that you can become friendly with in your neighborhood.

Contacting your vet is a good suggestion. Perhaps a dog groomer may also have some ideas for you.

Try looking for some local dog parks. We have them in our area, but my dog doesnt get along with others so I just walk her outside the fencing. Otherwise, you are able to let your dog roam inside the gated lot and run with the other dogs that are visiting.

Sometimes you can find breed specific clubs that get together on a regular basis. Look it up! There are also kennel clubs that you can look into. I just googled "Dachsund club, tx" and came up with a few orginazations in TX. Good Luck!

i have a neighbor that my dog loves to play with her dog. i actually set up play times-3 times per week. the woman is a little nutty and she couldnt abide the play date times. she would come to my apartment at 11pm and want the dogs to play. 1 day she got really mad at me for saying how late at night it was. yes she cussed me out. so anyway now my baby doesnt have anyone to play with either.

Really good suggestions here! Will give them a try. Thanks to all.

Why not try posting on craigslist.com?

What a great idea!

Dog Buddy Match, a free alternative to doggy daycare. It works almost exactly like online dating services. You sign up and create a profile for your dog, search for potential matches in your area, send a message to connect, and then meet to test compatibility.

Many dogs suffer great distress when left alone for long periods of time, resulting in destructive or other problematic behaviors, said Lovett. Since not everyone can afford dog day care, we wanted to create a completely free alternative and make it available to every dog owner nationwide.

Pets Dogs AdviceJune 24, 2008
Aggressive Dog
Dog is Aggressive Towards Other Resident Dogs
A happy dog standing up.
Training a Dog to Stop Mounting (Humping) People
Illustration of two kids in costumes.  A witch and a pirate.
Making a Dog the Bounty Hunter Costume
Dog Peeing on Another Dog
Dog Peeing on Another Dog
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 16, 2017 at 8:39:28 AM on 10.0.0.82 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.