Jungle Themed Afghan

I am about to be a first time grandma or I guess I should say step-grandma which makes this all the more important. I want to crochet a baby afghan for my coming grandson. They are doing a jungle theme room. I would like to make something not lacey but kind of like a net I guess to fit the theme.

I am a simple crocheter but need something that turns out looking spectacular. That is just what my daughter-in-law expects. Please give me ideas for what kind of yarn and hook to use. Please help me out here. No one on this site has ever let me down! Thanks!

By Karen from Port Clinton, OH

Hi Karen,

I'm not much of a crocheter myself, but I did find these free patterns that might be worth a look:

In my head, it seems like you could perhaps chain several identical lengths of single crochet, and then link them together at right angles with lengths of other single chain for a grid pattern (to make your net design -- as loose or as tight of squares as you like), and then finish around the edges with maybe a double crochet. At the "corners" of each netting square, you could embellish with a wood-tone or jungle-themed button.

But this is just in my mind's eye, and like I say, I'm not a crochet expert! You might also try a very simple pattern with a large hook in neutral colors like chocolate brown, khaki, and sage or cream.

I don't crochet. Except a single stitch and you can't do much with that! I do, however, make beautiful quilts. Maybe you could turn out something " spectacular" if you went with something you're used to doing.

Free Crochet Pattern
Finding Free Crochet Patterns
Crafts CrochetMarch 31, 2009
Knitted Afghan
Making a Knitted Afghan
Making a Crochet Scrap Afghan
Making a Crochet Scrap Afghan
Crocheted Afghan
Crocheted Afghan Patterns
closeup of Afghan Hound
Afghan Hound Breed Information and Photos