Browsing: Dyeing Fabric With Tea

Dyeing Clothing with Tea

I needed a tan bolero jacket to wear over a dress. I didn't have any extra money to buy one, so I had a white one that I very seldom wore. I took an 8 qt. stainless steel pot, put in 10 iced-tea sized tea bags and water, then let it boil. When it was done boiling, I saturated my white bolero in cold water. I then put it in the tea water and let it boil for about 15 minutes. After 15 min., I took it out and threw it in the washer on the rinse cycle with 1/2 cup of salt to set the dye. It came out beautifully. It was tan and matched my dress perfectly! I've washed it 2 or 3 times, and it's still a light tan color.

By Jackie S.

Showing: Comments Sort: Relevance

Good idea...but wouldn't a box of dye been a lot cheaper than all those tea bags?

My daughter is going to be in a wedding in September, and the dress she has is White, the bride was going to buy a white dress but decided on Ivory. We want the bride and flowergirl to match, would dying my daughters dress with tea make it ivory? the material of the dress is nylon organza with satin polyester lining any answers to this question would be greatly appreciated!

I'm dying my daughter's favorite capri jeans with tea. They had a "tea colored" stain that would not come out, so, if you can't beat them, join them!!

HOW CAN I DYE A 100% WHITE NYLON SLIP BEIGE OR TAN TO GO UNDER A PURPLE LONG DRESS FOR A WEDDING=MOTHER OF THE BRIDE?

Tea or coffee will dye natural fabrics - cotton, silk, wool, etc. It will not work well on synthetics. I recently dyed a cotton skirt using used coffee grounds that Starbucks will give to gardeners to use in compost in our gardens. The skirt was bought at a thrift store and will be used as part of a volunteer uniform for an organization with a significant interest in environmental causes. I look forward to sending them the info for our newsletter!

I did this with white sheets to make country curtains. One lesson I learned-make sure ALL of the sheets are the same type material. Sheets came from thrift stores and turned out beautifully-complete with lots of ruffles.

Sara - I would be very wary of dying anything nylon with anything, and certainly not with tea. Polyesters and nylon are much more difficult to dye than natural fibers. I expect this was an expensive dress; if it was my child, I'd have her wear it the way it is; you don't want to ruin it.

tea
Dyeing Fabric With Tea
Consumer Advice Clothing TipsMay 21, 2004
Russian Tea
Russian Tea Recipes
Tea Cup and Saucer on White Background
Crafts Using Tea Cups and Saucers
Crochet top pin cushion, a craft found on Thriftyfun. Submitted by a member.
Making a Tea Cup Pincushion
Chai Tea Latte
Chai Tea Latte Recipes
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 23, 2016 at 11:24:31 PM on 10.0.1.69 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.