Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Min Pin Smells Bad

I have a Min Pin and he stinks. I have been bathing him once a week. I know that bathing him that often is not good but lord I can't stand his smell. Anyone have any advice?

Tracy from Grand Rapids, MN

By

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Amanda (Guest Post)01/03/2009

I have two min pins and they are all healthy but I think they just get stinky from going outside 4 or 5 times a day. It is worse when it is raining and/or hot outside. What i do is wet a rag and wipe them down daily and wash them every 2 weeks. If yours is healthy then maybe he just needs an occasional wipe down or some doggy cologne.

By Maryeileen [76]12/15/2008

I bet that after you are able to take him to the vet, he will no longer be stinky!

By Tracy (Guest Post)12/15/2008

Thank you for all your advice, I have set up an appointment for next month with the vet. Cant afford it right now so close to Christmas. We inherited him from an abusive family who did not take care of him, he is about 4 years old according to them. I looked into his mouth and he does have some pretty bad teeth and his butt is "swollen" below the anus. I am thinking his problems may be two fold. His ears look clear but I don't know for sure what to look for there.
Even though he is a stinky dog I still love him and want the best for him.

By Barbara (Guest Post)12/12/2008

I worked for a vet and usually there were 3 causes of horrible pet odor: bad teeth, bad ears, and bad anal glands. Your vet can easily take care of these problems for you.

By Nan Corpe [6]12/12/2008

Your Min Pin might smell bad because his ears need cleaning. You can buy a cleaner from a vet or make one from mixing equal amounts of white vinegar and warm water. Gently squirt it in his ear, let him shake it out, and wipe his ear with a cotton ball or something soft. Do that in both ears at least a couple of times a month. He also might need his teeth cleaned. You can buy doggie tooth paste and tooth brushes. NEVER use human shampoos or other products on animals. The best advice for your Min Pin is to take him to a vet at least once a year. Now sounds like a good time, since he could smell for other reasons.

By Kathy Klahn [3]12/11/2008

Yes please see a vet. if its his breath or teeth you can brush them, it might be a stomach or digestive problem, or anal glands. you need a vets help. my friend washes dogs for a living and they use baby shampoo, it is gentle and smells nice.

By Maryeileen [76]12/11/2008

I would take him to the vet to rule out a medical reason for him smelling that bad.

By pet lover (Guest Post)12/11/2008

Sometimes when dogs develop a bad odor, it is due to hypothyroidism. Also, if their breath is bad, they can have infected teeth. I would take the dog to a vet and have her checked.

By Lesley (Guest Post)12/11/2008

There is a good chance that your dog is suffering from a health issue. Dogs do not have bad odors especially being washed so frequently.

Washing once a week can also create skin problems from overdrying.

My suggestion is to take your dog to the vet and have some blood and urine work done.

good luck

By (Guest Post)12/11/2008

Without more details... could the odor be coming from his ears, mites or an ear infection? Or a bad
tooth? Is he a teething puppy, heard some of them
have odor of the mouth while teething. A sinus infection? Is he going out into the yard & repeatedly rolling in something stinky? (ours were, right after a bath!) If you cannot figure it out soon my advice is to *call* and ask his vet if they have any ideas as to what could be the cause. Often they will answer a question on the phone or give some advice if they are able to without examining the animal. Good luck! Nothin' like a stinky dog laying on your lap !!