Substitute Double Boiler

Use a sauce pan or pot and fill halfway with water. Place a heat safe bowl right on top of the sauce pan or pot and use as you would a double boiler.

Source: KCTS Channel 9 Test Kitchen

By Carly from Lynnwood, WA

Been doing this for years because I refuse to pay extra for a double boiler ;-) Gave you a thumbs up for sharing what many of us take for granted :-)

I do this but put a canning ring in the bottom pot as my upper pot sits on an angle.

October 25, 2011 Flag

Improvised double boiler.Instead of buying a double boiler for twenty dollars or more, I used a skillet that I found at Goodwill for the part that holds my candle wax or soap pieces. The skillet cost me two dollars. I use an old pot from Goodwill, another two dollars, for the base.

Fill the base a little more than halfway with water and set to boil. Place the skillet on top of the pot and place your wax or soap pieces in the skillet. I have found this to be an easy and cheap way to melt leftover soap or wax to make new candles or bath soap for the guest room. All in all in only cost me four dollars to make, plus five more, if you want to use pre-made wicks. I have found that old fashioned pipe cleaners also work well as wicks.

By McCollonough from TN

I make homemade liquid laundry soap, having arthritis in my hands it's hard grating bar soap. I never heard of putting bar soap in a double boiler. My question is will this work instead of grating? Does anyone have an answer to this? Thanks a lot. It sure would be great if that worked. joanie

Food and Recipes Food Tips Helpful HintsDecember 18, 2009
Seafoam Icing
Seafoam Icing Recipes
Brown Bread
Slow Cooker Boston Brown Bread Recipes
Double Sided Tape
Uses for Double Sided Tape
Double-Sided Tape
Removing Double-Sided Tape