Substitute Double Boiler

Category Cooking Tips
If you don't own a proper double boiler there are some simple ways to improvise if you have a couple sauce pans or a sauce pan and a skillet. This is a page about using a substitute double boiler.

Use a sauce pan or pot and fill halfway with water. Place a heat safe bowl right on top of the sauce pan or pot and use as you would a double boiler.

Source: KCTS Channel 9 Test Kitchen

By Carly from Lynnwood, WA

Instead of buying a double boiler for twenty dollars or more, I used a skillet that I found at Goodwill for the part that holds my candle wax or soap pieces. The skillet cost me two dollars. I use an old pot from Goodwill, another two dollars, for the base.

Fill the base a little more than halfway with water and set to boil. Place the skillet on top of the pot and place your wax or soap pieces in the skillet. I have found this to be an easy and cheap way to melt leftover soap or wax to make new candles or bath soap for the guest room. All in all in only cost me four dollars to make, plus five more, if you want to use pre-made wicks. I have found that old fashioned pipe cleaners also work well as wicks.

By McCollonough from TN

Food and Recipes Food Tips Cooking TipsJune 26, 2017
📓
🐛
🌻
😎
😷
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Substitute-Double-Boiler-1.html