Creating Your Own Cheap Double Boiler

Instead of buying a double boiler for twenty dollars or more, I used a skillet that I found at Goodwill for the part that holds my candle wax or soap pieces. The skillet cost me two dollars. I use an old pot from Goodwill, another two dollars, for the base.

Fill the base a little more than halfway with water and set to boil. Place the skillet on top of the pot and place your wax or soap pieces in the skillet. I have found this to be an easy and cheap way to melt leftover soap or wax to make new candles or bath soap for the guest room. All in all in only cost me four dollars to make, plus five more, if you want to use pre-made wicks. I have found that old fashioned pipe cleaners also work well as wicks.

By McCollonough from TN

I make homemade liquid laundry soap, having arthritis in my hands it's hard grating bar soap. I never heard of putting bar soap in a double boiler. My question is will this work instead of grating? Does anyone have an answer to this? Thanks a lot. It sure would be great if that worked. joanie