Buying Internet Explorer 8

I hear Internet Explorer 7 is about to be on the shelf and keep seeing ads for IE 8. Are they for real, or a scam? haven't heard anything about 8 that I recall, but I'm fried from this heat, so I could just be mixed up.

By nekocat from OR

Yes, I think the heat is getting to you. I know I am so tired of it. Windows 7 is on the shelves now but Internet Explorer 8 is not the same thing, just a new version of IE, can be used on Windows XP or Vista.

I switched to the free browser 'Firefox' and have never looked back. This was a couple of years ago and it continues to improve!

So very tired of the heat, have had everything from mild heat exhaustion to moderate heat prostration. I win the lottery, I'm moving back to the beach!

Firefox won't go to some genealogy/history sites, so I've kept IE, but I thought maybe 8 was a hoax, and I did have real trouble with my computer/internet connection after checking 8 out. I had to download a new update from AVG, defrag and run a check disk and computer scan. turned out ok, computer's clean, but it had quite a sit-down strike until I ran all the tests and downloaded the update. but then, I got the ad for 8 off of, which occasionally has something nasty on it-go there with full firewall and antivirus on your computer. usually there's no problem, but twice I've run into something I think was after the computer. it's a photo sharing website.

Why do you think you have to pay for something that is built in to all windows systems, IE is nothing but a portal to access the net, great for setting up a new computer, but you really should look at getting a freeware setup,

ie either google chrome, firefox, opera, just try typing anyone of those in to google and see what pops up,

I hate the fact that anyone should have to pay for basic software, ie antivirus, browser, email. look and its there for the taking, and they are good might not be what your used to be but a change is as good as a holiday they reckon.

so you go find yourself some FREEWARE girl.

If you have automatic Windows updates set up on your machine it will most likely be automatically installed 'free of charge'. If you don't have automatic updates just go to Microsoft Free downloads, type in IE8 and you can install it safely from there 'free of charge'. Personally, I would wait a few months until the bugs are worked out before installing because there is already an IE8 removal tool so it must be causing havoc on some machines.

IE8 is avail as free download from microsoft. I am signed up for automatic updates, and it loaded on my computer, with no charge.

There are a few sites that are not compatible on IE8 there is a small icon on the top address window, looks like a piece of paper torn in 2. If a site won't load properly, or you can't use some of the functions on that site, just click that, and it will adjust to work with IE8. Found that out while working with customer invoices on Avon website.

If you already have a legal, registered installation of IE7, you can upgrade at Microsoft to IE8--but as a couple of other posters already mentioned, I'm passing on that.

Too many bugs and glitches, and if history repeats itself ( as with every other "new and improved" version browser they've put out since 1995), IE8 won't be worth touching until probably this time next year when they've hopefully ironed all the problems out.

Computers SoftwareAugust 3, 2009
Dora the Explorer
Making a Dora Costume
cable modem
Having Internet Without a Computer
An upclose photo of a laptop keyboard.
Saving Money on Your Internet Bill
A grandma smiling while using her tablet computer.
Computer and Internet Training for Senior Citizens