Recipe For Custard

I am looking for a recipe that my mother used to make. It is a custard that is cooked on the stove, it is semi thick, she used to keep in a jar in the refrigerator, not like the solid baked custard. Can anyone help?

Peggy

I don't have a recipe for it - but you are looking for something called "spoon" custard - thick enough to coat a spoon, but not firm like baked custard. Maybe you can find a recipe online with the name.

Boiled Custard:

4 eggs, pinch salt, 3/4 cup sugar,(More or less according to taste, I use a scant measure), 1 teaspoon vanilla, 1/2 gallon milk (I use skim) 1 large can evaporated milk, 2 heaping teaspoons cornstarch.

Beat egg yolks until foamy, add sugar and cornstarch that have been mixed together (so the cornstarch doesn't lump) and 2 cups milk. Cook in double boiler, stirring constantly, until mixture is slightly thick and coats spoon. Beat with electric mixer while adding remainder of milk.

Beat egg whites until stiff, adding 3 tablespoons additional sugar and fold into custard. Chill thoroughly.

Serve in cups with dollop of whipped cream and freshly grated nutmeg, if desired.

This has been a family favorite, especially at Christmastime for many years.

It will be easy to make only half the recipe to see is this is what you are looking for.

Thank you for your answer, you know exactly what I am looking for, have searched before but all I came up with is baked custard. Maybe using spoon in the search will bring some results. Thanks again.

You might try the same custard recipe on the back of a Nilla Wafer box! That would probably be pretty close. Milk, egg yolks, sugar, pinch of salt, vanilla (or flavoring of choice), and a couple of tablespoons of flour or corn starch to thicken with.

Food and Recipes Recipes Baking & Desserts Desserts CustardSeptember 26, 2007
making custard
Tempering Eggs into Custard or Pudding
Egg Custard Pie
Egg Custard Pie Recipes
Pumpkin Custard
Pumpkin Custard Recipes
Custard with Raspberries
Custard Recipes
🎄
🍂