Memorial GardensGardening

Yellow Memorial Flowers

I planted these beautiful yellow flowers in 1999 when I got the news that my brother-in-law had cancer and was not going to survive. Every year when they bloom, I reflect back on the ones I have lost in my life. I added the American Flag last year when my son-in-law left for Iraq. Thankfully, my son-in-law is on his way home this week.

By Karen from Thomasville

My son stuck a pinwheel in my flower bed when he was packing to go to Afghanistan (a toy from his past) and I kept it there until he got back then decided to leave it until they ALL came back. It's right outside my front door and reminds me to say a prayer for them every time I go and come. I'm probably going to have to get a new one because that one will be tattered by the time that happens I'm afraid.

Our son is a career soldier in the army and has spent 17 months in Afghanistan. Now they are sending him to Iraq for 18 months at the end of this month. My DH and I pray for him every day and for all our service men and women who serve in the military.

We tie big yellow ribbons on both the trees in our front yard to not only remind ourselves to pray but to remind our neighbors to pray as well. Freedom is NEVER FREE! REMEMBER OUR VETS!

PS Thank you for planting those beautiful flowers.

I would like to say how very thankful I am for the sacrifice your families have made for my freedom. I'm so proud of you all. I try to say thank you when I see military personal and I can hardly keep from having tears in my eyes. What a precious gift you all have given me!

Blessings to all of you and all of them who are serving.

A deeply grateful Missourian.

We thank you too. We have our oldest grandson back from Kuwait, Thank the Lord. Our two Marine sons did tours overseas also. As well as my father. So we know how hard separation is. Your choice of white and yellow dutch iris couldn't be more perfect.They will multiply every year and your flowers will inspire others. Some day you'll have to dig and separate them so they will continue to spread. When that times comes be sure to give some to family and friends to start their own memory/memorial garden. GG HUGS,Vi