Do I Need Multiple Tomato Plants?

Will one tomato plant by itself produce fruit or must you have two or more?

Hardiness Zone: 6b

By Broney3506 from Louisville, KY

To celebrate the new year we are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards for people who answer questions on ThriftyFun in January! Click here to find out more...

One will do nicely.

You only need one for fruit. But having a back-up in case one doesn't make it for some reason is also a good idea.

Plant some basil with it, to help prevent insects.

I always keep seeds from any tomatoes I eat or chop and throw them out in the garden. They grow nicely. The more the merrier! Robyn

Broney

No, Tomato plants flowers have both male and female parts, 1 will do you find, I make sure I always plant 2 also just in case something goes wrong with 1 of them.

I do suggest that you go out and gently shake the plant twice a day while blooming, with the Bee population being as bad as it is you may not get enough activity to insure a good crop.

Babbie

One, alone, will do it.

"Plan B" is always have another one ready just in case the original one falls over in the wind or some other weather crisis happens. Here's a tip: since tomato plants do best in acidic soil, and coffee grounds are acidic----save coffee grounds you have to dump on the top of the soil. Good luck and dream of thick slices on top of cream cheese and you favorite bagel.

Home and Garden Gardening AdviceApril 27, 2009
Supporting Tomato Plants
Supporting Tomato Plants
Bowl of cream of tomato soup garnished with chives.
Freezing Tomato Soup
feeding a cat
Feeding Multiple Cats
Tomato Hornworms
Controlling Tomato Hornworms
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 16, 2017 at 9:20:47 AM on 10.0.2.240 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.