HealthPets

Pet Health Insurance

Since we have pets, dogs, and a cat we need to know if anyone of you have a pet insurance. I know there are several to choose from. My problem is I don't know anyone that has it. I would like any feed back as to whether it's good or bad.

By Jodi from east TX

My husband and I got health insurance for our cat about 3 years ago and it was the best decision! Since then, she has had multiple health issues resulting in large vet bills. While you can't expect to recoup the whole amount, it makes a large difference.

We went through ASPCA and the premium and deductible is very reasonable. And, filing a claim is a simple process; fill out a claim form and send in your vet receipts. VPI is another good company, but they wouldn't take on our cat because she was over the age limit. For anyone who has pets, get health insurance. All it takes is one incident to make it worthwhile. I highly recommend it.

One thing I didn't see anyone talk about was that some insurances will pay the vet directly--just like people insurance does. The trouble is you have to find a vet (they usually have a list of them for your area) that is signed up to work with that insurance.

But yes, pet insurance is a fantastic thing to have. Unfortunately I don't have it for my dogs, and now they are too old to qualify. But my 5 months old kitten as it and will be using it in a couple of months when he gets neutered and declawed!