Ideas for a Beginning Sewer

I am looking for sewing ideas. I need help making purses, pillows, and things for the home. I would also like to make recycled bags for grocery shopping. I am a beginning sewer. I have made rice bags and a few pillows. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Crystal from Zebulon, NC

Go to and click on the "blog". They have all kinds oftutorials, patterns, tips, etc. for the beginning seamstress as well as the more experienced sewer.

A good site for beginners is They have many different categories, so just search for sewing, etc. You should be able to find instructions there.

There is a wonderful web site with all kinds of tutorials on It's free, or you can pay to join to participate in swaps and stuff.

Try They have easy-to-do sewing patterns. And they have alot of other good things too.

Take a long look at a shopping bag in the store and you'll figure it out.

You could also check with your local library and see if they offer classes. Our library has quilting classes and other "craft" classes.

Since I tried to sew on my new sewing machine I have had so much trouble with the thread clumping on the bottom of the material that I got discouraged in trying to do this.

I have tried adjusting the tension on the top part and still no luck.

I am so happy that you are going to sew.

It's really worth the effort.

I was having the same problem with clumping thread on the bottom of my material as I sewed. It was a new machine. I took it in and paid dearly for servicing. They said they didn't have a problem with it after they serviced it.

I brought it home and it still did. I took it to a different sewing center and the lady told me 90% of these problem. My new machine was doing the same thing - clumping on the back side of the material I was sewing. I have it servms are "a threading problem."

I really doubted her, as I have sewn for a long time, but this was a new machine. I watched her carefully as she demonstrated. I said "I do it right." She told me I wasn't pulling the thread tight enough for it to "click" (before threading the needle.) It has to go into a groove, that you can't see because it is inside the sealed machine head. That is where the tension is applied. Sure enough, I have had no problems since them. She said she sees this all the time. Hope it works for you.

A girl sewing with a sewing machine.
Sewing Projects for Beginners
Crafts SewingMarch 6, 2009
White Low Flow Toilet
Saving Money on Your Sewer Bill
Fitted Sheet
Making Fitted Sheets
Two women knitting.
Tips for Beginning Crafters
house with trees
Getting Rid of Roots in a Sewer Line