Sewing Projects for Beginners

Category Patterns
A girl sewing with a sewing machine.
You can create many wonderful things once you can sew, but starting with a simple undertaking is the best way to learn the basics. This guide is about sewing projects for beginners.

What is the easiest piece of clothing to start learning to sew with? This is all new to me and I need lots of help. Thanks and God bless

Debra from Hampton, TN

One of the easiest I think to make are shell type tops and just by adding another piece of fabric that is basically a rectangle in shape to it you can make sundresses in any lenght. You don't even need a pattern if you have a top that already fits you to use as a pattern. you simply lay out your fabric (1 yard will do a top size large or smaller) and get 2 yards for a sundress that would come to your knee) lay out your fabric two where you cut 2 pieces the same for the top. Turn your top inside out then fold it in half, lay the folded side of the top against the folded side of the fabric then cut around the top that your using as your pattern, and cut an ectra inch around your top so you can allow for seam lines. Just turn under the edges of the top on the neckline, sleeves, bottom to if its going to be just a top and hem, your done! If you want a sundress just let your top end where you want your waist line of the sundress to begin, like under the breast, at the waist line. then cut you a piece of rectangle square piece of fabric the lenght you want it to be from the tops bottom and the finishing lenght where it stops(the dress part) that piece of fabric (its width) should be double the inches of what your tops width is already) sew up the side of the rectangle (you should have one side if you cut it on the fold) if you cut it on both selvage edges you will have two sides to sew up) after you sew it up then make a gathering stitch all the way around your bottom piece by hand) make sure it is gathered to match the top width at this point then match it up to your tops bottom with right sides of the fabric together. No just sew up the 2 pieces together on your machine. hen the bottom of your sundress and your done. Add button to the front just by sewing on for looks (not really used) iron on fabric decals to the outfit where ever you like. Lots of embelishment ideas you can do to make it nice & your own style.

Pull-on pants or skirts w/ elastic or drawstring waists are very easy (and would go w/ the shell tops suggested by 'theseamstress':) ).

Easiest thing to start learning to sew is an apron. It's the first thing we learned in Home Ec in school MANY years ago! I'm still sewing too. Have fun!!

Try a dirndl skirt. It's basically a rectangle of fabric with elastic for the waistband.

If you are young and have a very slim figure, clothing made of rectangles is fine, but it doesn't do much for most figures. I would suggest a very easy pattern--most pattern companies have them. A few seams are not hard and reading the directions are a learning experience. I do suggest a small inexpensive print and make sure you cut the pattern out correctly following the grain lines.

I agree that pull ons are easier but I would use solids for the first few garments. There is a brand of pattern that is at most fabric stores. It's called Sew Easy. When you buy elastic for your waistband get pajama elastic. I discovered a long time ago that it is more confortable.

If you start getting frustrated just put it away and come back to it later. You will ruin a nice garment if you try to sew while you are upset. Good luck! It's a lot of fun and you can save a lot of money making your own clothes. The best part is it's not made in China.

Although elastic waist pants and skirts are easy to sew, they rarely look good on anyone. You will enjoy sewing more if what you sew is something you can be proud of. Like one of the other posters, I would recommend your sewing an apron. They're easy and still look great. Also, pajama pants in flannel are all the rage for wearing to bed or around the house, and they are very easy to sew while allowing you to perfect your sewing skills. I recommend a brand of pattern called Kwik Sew. They're hard to find, but their instructions are clear, especially for beginners. Good Luck!

If you'd like to start with clothes, I suggest pajamas. They're relatively easy and getting the fit exactly right isn't as hard as say a pair of pants with a zipper. Plus, if the pajamas don't turn out exactly right, who'll know?! Pillows are also quick, fun and easy projects. If you're not close to a college or fabric store that has classes on beginning sewing, I suggest you check out your local library or online for basic sewing videos and DVDs. Good luck! I hope you'll be patient with yourself as you learn.

Start by making little tote bags. I know it sounds lame, but you'll work on straight lines, seams, sewing inside out, hems, ironing and straps. These skills will help you with every piece of clothing you want to sew.

When you're ready for clothing, sew for a child. I realized I could sew when I made my son sweatpants and a sweatshirt from an "easy" pattern. And he (being a toddler at the time) wasn't as picky about fit as I was.

The most important tip I can give you is keep your iron and ironing board out and handy when you are sewing. Try it, you'll see what I mean !

Have fun. =)

I start my children out with making square pillows out of fleece. It doesn't ravel, and straight seems are a great way to learn the feel of the machine.

Our first pillow is just 2 squares sewn together. After they have that done, we move up to sewing 4 smaller blocks together to make a pillow side.

I have found some great free patterns on the internet to start sewing: simple 1 piece cape/wraps - just need a hem. Simple summer dress pattern, garment bags from pillow cases, just add trim. Walmart has had some great fabric for 1.00 a yard so for a few dollars I have a summer cape, halter style dress, head band and tote with free patterns from the internet. All simple seams, great freebies for beginners plus do not forget press those seams. So many forget to mention that. It always makes your work look good even if its not just right. Shirley

Does anyone have ideas for sewing Christmas gifts that would be suitable for a beginner? Thanks very much and God Bless!

Debra from Hampton, TN

I am looking for sewing ideas. I need help making purses, pillows, and things for the home. I would also like to make recycled bags for grocery shopping. I am a beginning sewer. I have made rice bags and a few pillows. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Crystal from Zebulon, NC