Wildlife: Robin's Nest

This nest was built in our mulberry tree by our front walkway. We took pictures from beginning to end. What an experience for my 9 year old!

By Tucci

Precious captures, beautifully done!

Certainly the most memorable educational moment for your 9 yr old. Better than any lesson from a classroom! Good for you for documenting it and taking the time to make a project out of it. Bravo!

Wow that is awesome. Great photography!

June 24, 2010 Flag

I am so excited. I have just seen a robin building a nest on my porch ceiling. She does a little dance after she puts the twigs and grass in. I wonder why? She spreads her wings and then does a complete turn while bobbing up and down. There are no eggs in there yet. We had a bad storm last night and it knocked out the nest. There are no eggs on the floor. Any ideas on why? Thank you.

Sandy from Baltimore, MD

Answers:

Robin's Nest Fell Down

The female robin is probably trying to attract a male. (04/22/2008)

By MCW

Robin's Nest Fell Down

MCW is probably right about the mating dance. Robins will often abandon a nest if something disrupts it, like getting knockned down. But probably she felt there's too much traffic on the porch, they like privacy when nesting. (04/22/2008)

By perfume and powder

Robin's Nest Fell Down

Sandy here. There is no traffic on the porch at all. The nest didn't fall down. It just kinda came apart during the storm. I have watched her build it back up for the last 3 days. This am I saw 2 robins on the porch. They didn't go up to the nest. I hope they come back. (04/23/2008)

By sandy63

Robin's Nest Fell Down

She may even be doing that dance to shape the nest. Usually the males are the ones who do the attracting maneuvers. Since the nest fell, it will probably be abandoned as location has proved too exposed to the elements. Also may be a young female who is inexperienced in nest building. The female will not lay eggs until she has mated. She was probably preparing the nest before laying. Did you see a male around? (04/23/2008)

By thriftmeg

RE: Robin's Nest Fell Down

Robin Bird Nest
Bird Nest Photos
Photos WildlifeJune 24, 2010
Squirrel eating a flower.
Protecting Bulbs from Wildlife
Bumble Bee on a flower.
Getting Rid of Underground Bumble Bee Nest
Removing a Yellow Jackets Nest
Removing a Yellow Jacket Nest
Red Robin Chili
Red Robin Copycat Chili Recipe
🎉
🎄