Removing Silly Putty Stains from Clothing and Fabric

Silly Putty is great fun to play with. Unfortunately is often ends up in clothing pockets. The resulting stains can be difficult to remove. This is a guide about removing Silly Putty stains from clothing and fabric.

Red plastic egg for Silly Putty. Removing Silly Putty stains from clothing and fabric.
Filter Sort

Question: Silly Putty Stain

By lisa montoya 1

How do you get silly putty out of a blanket?

By Lisa from Colorado Springs, CO

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By jenny 2 25 Flag

My suggestion would be to freeze it, then use a butter knife to scrape it off. Hope that does it. Jenny

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Silly Putty Stains on Clothing

How do I remove Silly Putty from clothing? Thank you for info.

A Nobell

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Jaimee 1 Flag

I used the silly putty I could pick off to get the rest off. silly putty sticks to silly putty so it just pulls it right off.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Removing Silly Putty from Plush Robe

By pszeliga63 1

This just happened to my grand-daughter's plush robe. Scrape off as much of the Silly Putty as you can, then wet a soft cloth with Noxema facial astringent and rub the stain. The putty will dissolve away. You may want to test a small area if working on dark fabric. I tried this on a whim and was amazed how well it worked.

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Question: How Can I Remove Silly Putty from Polyester Fabric?

By De 1

I have silly putty melted into a polyester comforter, any solutions for removal?

By De

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Georgia 1 Flag

I just did this this morning and we are going to try washing it and I'll let you know if it works.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Removing Silly Putty from Socks

How do I remove Silly Putty from socks?

By D J from Smithville, TN

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Removing Dried Silly Putty from Fabric

How do you get silly putty that has dried on fabric out?

By Beverly

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Archive: Silly Putty on Shirt

My son got silly putty stuck to his shirt and I can't get it out. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Sarah

Answers:

Goo-Gone

I've had the same problem several times with my son. Goo-gone worked pretty well. Good luck to you. (04/01/2005)

By Wendy

Freeze

Freeze, then scrape it off with a plastic scraper or credit card. (08/17/2006)

By camo_angels

Archive: Silly Putty on Clothing

How do you get silly putty out of clothes?

Tammie from Edmonton Alberta Canada

Answers:

RE: Silly Putty on Clothing

----> To remove silly putty, use a bag of ice to freeze area (or put it in the freezer if item fits) Scrape with a credit card (or use a hammer)... Squirt on WD-40 to remove the rest, work it into putty, let sit then scrape the rest off with an old credit card. Now you have to remove the WD-40. Pour on shampoo (shampoo is made to remove grease from you hair, and that's what's in WD-40) Or use liquid laundry soap. Work it in with a tooth brush or rub it in & let sit about an hour, then laundry as usual.

----> IMPORTANT ... before putting clothes in dryer, first check to make sure any stains are gone, because the heat will set the stain!

----> The best all around stain remover (including mustard) is any brand of waterless cream hand cleaner (the kind mechanics use, like Goop brand) This is available at most Dollar Stores.

----> Another cool tip. To remove blood (even dried blood that's sat for weeks! and blood that's on colors) I use straight Ammonia (not the sudsy kind, just the least expensive brand you can buy) Hold your breath & open a window... then pour ammonia on stain, you can work it in with a toothbrush, but I just throw it in the washer, let sit for a bit then wash as usual. (do not add bleach to any load with ammonia!) You may need to do this several times if the blood has sat for many days. But you can usually see the blood disappearing right before your eyes, it's pretty cool! Ammonia also gets rid of blood on carpet and furniture too, but spot check first to test fabric & make sure you rinse well.

----> My favorite tip is this amazing little tid-bit: Peroxide will remove nearly anything organic from carpet (and clothing) including blood, It removes coffee & tea stains, food of most kinds, etc. Simply amazing stuff! (spot check carpet & furniture first) then pour a bit into the bottle cap, and pour this onto the stain (or put peroxide in a well marked spray bottle) and spray directly on spots, watch it fizz, leave set for a few minutes, especially if the food or drink has hardened. Blot with a WHITE towel or white rag, then if needed, spray peroxide again, wait, blot and do this repeatedly until the spot is gone. When I say peroxide works on organics, I mean it won't work for pen or kool-aid stains or other non-natural stains, but it should work for juice, coffee, blood and other natural biologic types. I just cleaned up an extremely badly stained carpet, and made it look just like new, using nothing but the Peroxide you buy in the first-aid isle at the grocery store. The spilled latte and other food and tea stains just fizzed right off, and no need to rinse either. Also another bonus: The peroxide doesn't leave a film to attract more dirt as soap products do! (08/26/2006)

By Cyinda

Archive: Silly Putty Stain

Does anyone know how to get Silly

Putty out of material? My child had Silly Putty on my sofa throw and the throw was sat on. I

have picked off what I can pick off, but its still there.

Thank you.

Cindie

Feedback:

RE: Silly Putty Stain

My kids have gotten Silly Putty stuck to various things in the past. You could try putting a

little ice on it and try "chipping it away". This has worked for us before on clothes. Then I

was able to wash them. Good luck. (06/05/2005)

By Tracy115

RE: Silly Putty Stain

Call the 800 number on the package. I had SP Putty on my carpet and I called them. They told

me exactly what to do to remove it and it worked. You could not tell where it has been when I

finished. (06/07/2005)

By Sherrye

RE: Silly Putty Stain

Check out the manufacturer's website for details on how to remove Silly Putty stains from all

kinds of stuff:

crayola.com (06/07/2005)

By Trix

RE: Silly Putty Stain

Try Woolite Oxy Deep. I just discovered Silly Putty on my new sofa (who knows when it got

there) and wasn't too keen on putting wd-40 on it so I tried this first. It actually came out.

I was able to rub the fabric together, but if you aren't I would just try using your fingers

or maybe a toothbrush. If it doesnt all come up in one session retry later on. It took me

about 1/2 hr to get it out. Not too bad considering it was the whole egg of putty.

(11/02/2005)

By Sarah

RE: Silly Putty Stain

I had the triple whammy. Silly Putty in my daughter's hair and the pillowcase and her down

comforter (she fell asleep with it in her hand). For the hair, Pam worked well. Spray it on

and work it out with your fingers or a comb.
    <p.For the pillowcase, I tried the freezing and WD-40 and that worked OK, the putty didn't

really chip off, parts of it did, but the thinner portions stayed on. Also, it starts to thaw

and get gummy again pretty quickly. The rest dissolved fairly well with WD-40.

For the down comforter, I had to think of something different, as I didn't want to spray it

with WD-40 and I couldn't fit it in the freezer. This is going to sound crazy, but I used more

Silly Putty. I was standing there trying to decide what on earth to do, when I took the little

ball of SP that was left over and started quickly dabbing at the comforter. It worked. The

ball of putty pulled off what was on the comforter. Warning: dab in quick thrusts so the

additional putty doesn't end up stuck as well (although even when this happened, I was able to

pull the bulk off and get all of it off). (09/03/2006)

By Linda

RE: Silly Putty Stain

OK, so someone got Silly Putty on our couch, and there was no way that we were going to put

WD-40 on it and the ice wasn't working. So we got out a dull knife and chipped away at the

excess silly putty. Then, we took this carpet cleaner that we got at Sam's called Spot Shot

Professional Instant Carpet Stain Remover, and it worked perfectly. (12/02/2006)

By

RE: Silly Putty Stain

I just discovered that nail polish remover works really well. I got some on polyester "fleece"

pajama pants and that's what I had handy and decided to try.
    Good luck to anyone trying to remove this stuff.

(The only reason I have it is for strengthening my muscles after recovering from tendonitis. I

do not recommend this product for anything, but therapeutic purposes.) (12/12/2006)

By Sophie Abigail

RE: Silly Putty Stain

Just rub salt in it and it comes right off like magic. (12/31/2006)

By smacd

RE: Silly Putty Stain

I had some Silly Putty totally ingrained on my carpet. Some raspberry Smirnoff did the trick

nicely. (05/17/2007)

By Pete

RE: Silly Putty Stain Remote Control

My daughter put green Silly Putty on the remote control. I gave up trying to clean it off. In

about a week it dried up into a fine powder and I was able to just gently dust it off with a

cloth. (06/30/2007)

By Joel

RE: Silly Putty Stain

Ice cubes don't work very well, but we used Oxi-clean laundry stain remover and it worked

really well. (08/23/2007)

By Alice

RE: Silly Putty Stain

I used hand sanitizer which is technically alcohol and it worked also to remove Silly Putty

off my sweatshirt. Thanks. (11/13/2007)

By Carlos

RE: Silly Putty Stain

I tried the rubbing alcohol and I also tried ice, they both left green marks. I tried Zout

Oxy, a laundry stain remover, and the Silly Putty disappeared right away. (02/07/2008)

RE: Silly Putty Stain

Don't use rubbing alcohol on denim. It fades the fabric. (02/10/2008)

By glee

RE: Silly Putty Stain

Rubbing alcohol leaves a stain. (08/08/2008)

By Doesn't agree

RE: Silly Putty Stain

You can use WD-40 and then let it sit for about 10 min. Then scrape with a knife lightly.

Meghan (09/09/2008)

By Meghan

RE: Silly Putty Stain

My sister got silly putty on her blanket. We washed it with bleach in really hot water and it

came off. (12/23/2008)

By McKenzie

Archive: Silly Putty Stains on Clothing

My daughter got silly putty all over her coat. It was in the pocket and somehow from sitting on it, etc. it is in spots all over it now. I was able to pick off the "putty" parts, but there were stains left.

I tried to wash it in the washing machine, but the stains remained (however, when it was wet they appeared to be gone). Has anyone tried a remedy after trying to wash them out? She just got the coat a couple of weeks ago and I hope that by washing it the stain wasn't set further. Please let me know any suggestions.

Thank you,
    Patty from Spencerville, IN

Feedback:

RE: Silly Putty Stains on Clothing

After sitting on my 3 year old's son's Silly Putty in a brand-new shirt, I just now took rubbing alcohol, saturated a cotton ball, then used that to soak the back of the area that the Silly Putty was stuck on. Worked like a dream; the silly putty released and my son can even have it back now. (09/05/2007)

By Gem

RE: Silly Putty Stains on Clothing

Just wanted to offer a non-toxic solution for removing Silly-Putty from clothes: my son had it on on pants (jean-like material) and I used Simple Green. I sprayed it full-strength directly on spot and scraped with credit card. Had to spray a few times, and I kept scraping, but within minutes I had it all removed. Hope this works for you. (10/24/2007)

By Faith in Michigan

RE: Silly Putty Stains on Clothing

Ethyl rubbing alcohol worked the "best". I wouldn't even mess with Goo Gone after using both on fleece and cotton bedsheets. So glad I found this website. (12/07/2007)

By Lisa

RE: Silly Putty Stains on Clothing

Wintergreen scented rubbing alcohol worked wonder's on my little 3 year old's cotton pajama pants in which he slept on Silly Putty all night. Freezing and icing was totally worthless. Thank you. (01/01/2008)

By mdk84

RE: Silly Putty Stains on Clothing

My daughter rubbed the Silly Putty into her favorite pajama pants (100% polyester) because she thought she could get a picture of Strawberry Shortcake. While the putty was still gooey, I used a Q-tip to soak the putty and surrounding area with rubbing alcohol. I then used a butter knife that was a bit serrated to scrape it off slowly. It removed all of it without damaging the material. (03/02/2008)

By Beth from Michigan

RE: Silly Putty Stains on Clothing

I used shaving cream; it works so good. (05/25/2008)

By Sadie

RE: Silly Putty Stains on Clothing

I used the alcohol method on a fuzzy blanket of my daughter's and it came right out with hardly any effort. I'd certainly try it in on clothes now that I had such success. For a dry clean only item, I'd take it to your cleaners and see what they can do and tell them about the alcohol. They'll know how the fabric will react. (07/04/2008)

By kimmom

RE: Silly Putty Stains on Clothing

I'm 15 and my little brother thought it would be funny to stick silly putty on me while I was sleeping. Of course it was on my favorite shirt. I put OXyClean spray on it let it sit and scraped it off with a disposable butter knife. Took 3 minutes. Glad my shirt's OK. (08/11/2008)

Silly putty on clothing

My son got silly putty in his hair, bed, and carpet. Shampoo, conditioner, and a comb took it out of his hair. I used hand sanitizer on the bedding and carpet: just squirt some on the area and rub with your finger-tips until it comes out. It does still leave a little bit of a stain, but it takes it out. Good luck to all. (10/05/2008)

By Amber

RE: Silly Putty Stains on Clothing

I used the dual action Oxy from the Dollar Tree and it got Silly Putty out of my daughter's pants and sheet. She fell asleep with it in her hand. Then, I washed both with a large scoop of the Oxy crystals and some detergent. When I first saw the mess I thought I would have to throw them away. Now, they are both good as new. And best of all, no stains. Thanks. (10/25/2008)

By Beth

RE: Silly Putty Stains on Clothing

My daughter had a sleepover and her friend got Silly Putty on a sweater I bought her for Christmas and a pair of her pajama bottoms that were on her bed. After seeing these different suggestions, I tried a combination of things: Avon Skin So Soft, LA's Totally Awesome (which you can buy at the Dollar Store, which is totally awesome) and Spray and Wash. I think that the Totally Awesome worked the best. Thanks for all of the suggestions. I got it all out. (02/21/2009)

By Anna Sophie089

Archive: Silly Putty Stains on Clothing

My granddaughter tried to hide pink Silly Putty between the tongue of her brand new high top tennis shoes and her sock. It was there all day, so by the time she got home it was smeared over both. I've tried putting in the freezer over night, Dawn liquid, and hair spray. It won't move. Please give any suggestions.

By Darlene from Hanahan, SC

Feedback:

RE: Silly Putty Stains on Clothing

Try eanut bButter. It works great with chewing gum, so it might work. (12/26/2009)

By jennyjay

Archive: Silly Putty Stain

Does anyone know how to get silly putty out of material? My child had silly putty on my sofa throw and the throw was sat on. I have picked off what I can pick off but it's still there.

Thank you,
    Cindie

Feedback:

RE: Silly Putty Stain

My son sat in silly putty in his nice church pants. Tried salt with no luck. Used Crystal Simple Green Industrial Cleaner/De-greaser and it came right out with a little scraping. (02/01/2010)

By oceanseeker

Archive: Silly Putty Stain

My grandson got Silly Putty all over his bed comforter. How do we get it out? Any suggestions please.

By Dorothea from Tucson, AZ

Feedback:

RE: Silly Putty Stain

There are some good suggestions in the ThriftyFun archives below the comments :-) (04/23/2010)

By Deeli

Home and Garden Cleaning Clothing StainsNovember 27, 2011
    ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
    red putty egg
    Removing Silly Putty Stains from Microfiber
    red putty egg
    Removing Silly Putty from Carpet
    red putty egg
    Removing Silly Putty from Upholstered Furniture
    red putty egg
    Removing Silly Putty from Hair
    © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 8, 2016 at 12:12:13 PM on 10.0.2.59 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

All ArticlesSolutionsQuestionsArchives
    NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulMost AnswersFewest AnswersBest AnswersRelevance
    Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
    BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
    CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings