Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Removing Silly Putty Stains from Clothing and Fabric

Red plastic egg for Silly Putty. Removing Silly Putty stains from clothing and fabric.

Silly Putty is great fun to play with. Unfortunately is often ends up in clothing pockets. The resulting stains can be difficult to remove. This is a guide about removing Silly Putty stains from clothing and fabric.

Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Tip: Removing Silly Putty from Plush Robe

This just happened to my grand-daughter's plush robe. Scrape off as much of the Silly Putty as you can, then wet a soft cloth with Noxema facial astringent and rub the stain. The putty will dissolve away. You may want to test a small area if working on dark fabric. I tried this on a whim and was amazed how well it worked.

By

Share Your Feedback: Once you try any of the above solutions, be sure to come back and give a "thumbs up" to the one that worked the best for you. Do you have a better solution? Click "Share a Solution" above!

Here are questions related to Removing Silly Putty Stains from Clothing and Fabric.

Question: Removing Dried Silly Putty from Fabric

How do you get silly putty that has dried on fabric out?

By Beverly

Question: Silly Putty Stain

How do you get silly putty out of a blanket?

By Lisa from Colorado Springs, CO

Most Recent Answer

By jenny01/20/2011

My suggestion would be to freeze it, then use a butter knife to scrape it off. Hope that does it. Jenny

Question: How Can I Remove Silly Putty from Polyester Fabric?

I have silly putty melted into a polyester comforter, any solutions for removal?

By De

Question: Silly Putty Stains on Clothing

How do I remove Silly Putty from clothing? Thank you for info.

A Nobell

Most Recent Answer

By Jaimee04/18/2010

I used the silly putty I could pick off to get the rest off. silly putty sticks to silly putty so it just pulls it right off.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Silly Putty on Shirt

My son got silly putty stuck to his shirt and I can't get it out. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Sarah

Goo-Gone

I've had the same problem several times with my son. Goo-gone worked pretty well. Good luck to you. (04/01/2005)

By Wendy

Freeze

Freeze, then scrape it off with a plastic scraper or credit card. (08/17/2006)

By camo_angels

Archive: Silly Putty on Clothing

How do you get silly putty out of clothes?

Tammie from Edmonton Alberta Canada

RE: Silly Putty on Clothing

----> To remove silly putty, use a bag of ice to freeze area (or put it in the freezer if item fits) Scrape with a credit card (or use a hammer)... Squirt on WD-40 to remove the rest, work it into putty, let sit then scrape the rest off with an old credit card. Now you have to remove the WD-40. Pour on shampoo (shampoo is made to remove grease from you hair, and that's what's in WD-40) Or use liquid laundry soap. Work it in with a tooth brush or rub it in & let sit about an hour, then laundry as usual.

----> IMPORTANT ... before putting clothes in dryer, first check to make sure any stains are gone, because the heat will set the stain!

----> The best all around stain remover (including mustard) is any brand of waterless cream hand cleaner (the kind mechanics use, like Goop brand) This is available at most Dollar Stores.

----> Another cool tip. To remove blood (even dried blood that's sat for weeks! and blood that's on colors) I use straight Ammonia (not the sudsy kind, just the least expensive brand you can buy) Hold your breath & open a window... then pour ammonia on stain, you can work it in with a toothbrush, but I just throw it in the washer, let sit for a bit then wash as usual. (do not add bleach to any load with ammonia!) You may need to do this several times if the blood has sat for many days. But you can usually see the blood disappearing right before your eyes, it's pretty cool! Ammonia also gets rid of blood on carpet and furniture too, but spot check first to test fabric & make sure you rinse well.

----> My favorite tip is this amazing little tid-bit: Peroxide will remove nearly anything organic from carpet (and clothing) including blood, It removes coffee & tea stains, food of most kinds, etc. Simply amazing stuff! (spot check carpet & furniture first) then pour a bit into the bottle cap, and pour this onto the stain (or put peroxide in a well marked spray bottle) and spray directly on spots, watch it fizz, leave set for a few minutes, especially if the food or drink has hardened. Blot with a WHITE towel or white rag, then if needed, spray peroxide again, wait, blot and do this repeatedly until the spot is gone. When I say peroxide works on organics, I mean it won't work for pen or kool-aid stains or other non-natural stains, but it should work for juice, coffee, blood and other natural biologic types. I just cleaned up an extremely badly stained carpet, and made it look just like new, using nothing but the Peroxide you buy in the first-aid isle at the grocery store. The spilled latte and other food and tea stains just fizzed right off, and no need to rinse either. Also another bonus: The peroxide doesn't leave a film to attract more dirt as soap products do! (08/26/2006)

By Cyinda

Archive: Silly Putty Stain

Does anyone know how to get silly putty out of material? My child had silly putty on my sofa throw and the throw was sat on. I have picked off what I can pick off but its still there.

Archive: Silly Putty Stains on Clothing

Silly Putty Stains on Clothing. How do you get silly putty out of clothing?

Archive: Silly Putty Stains on Clothing

My granddaughter tried to hide pink Silly Putty between the tongue of her brand new high top tennis shoes and her sock. It was there all day, so by the time she got home it was smeared over both. I've tried putting in the freezer over night, Dawn liquid, and hair spray. It won't move. Please give any suggestions.

By Darlene from Hanahan, SC

RE: Silly Putty Stains on Clothing

Try eanut bButter. It works great with chewing gum, so it might work. (12/26/2009)

By jennyjay

Archive: Silly Putty Stain

Does anyone know how to get silly putty out of material? My child had silly putty on my sofa throw and the throw was sat on. I have picked off what I can pick off but it's still there.

Thank you,
Cindie

RE: Silly Putty Stain

My son sat in silly putty in his nice church pants. Tried salt with no luck. Used Crystal Simple Green Industrial Cleaner/De-greaser and it came right out with a little scraping. (02/01/2010)

By oceanseeker

Archive: Silly Putty Stain

My grandson got Silly Putty all over his bed comforter. How do we get it out? Any suggestions please.

By Dorothea from Tucson, AZ

RE: Silly Putty Stain

There are some good suggestions in the ThriftyFun archives below the comments :-) (04/23/2010)

By Deeli