Browsing: Removing Silly Putty Stains from Clothing and Fabric

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Removing Silly Putty Stains from Clothing and Fabric

Silly Putty is great fun to play with. Unfortunately is often ends up in clothing pockets. The resulting stains can be difficult to remove. This is a guide about removing Silly Putty stains from clothing and fabric.

Red plastic egg for Silly Putty. Removing Silly Putty stains from clothing and fabric.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

January 17, 2011 Flag

How do you get silly putty out of a blanket?

By Lisa from Colorado Springs, CO

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Use an ice Cuba to loosen the silly putty of then use hands to pick as much stuff as u can if there is still more silly putty in this materiel use a butter knife to try to scrap more of

rubbing alcohol dissolves it away nicely

Watched a you tube video rubbing alcohol worked. I am about to try

I just got some on my micro plush throw. Rub at the area with a rubbing alcohol-soaked cotton ball, the silly putty disintegrates away leaving no residue if it is a large amount go on the other side of the fabric and soak from the back, it releases the putty hope this helps.

March 8, 2013 Flag

This just happened to my grand-daughter's plush robe. Scrape off as much of the Silly Putty as you can, then wet a soft cloth with Noxema facial astringent and rub the stain. The putty will dissolve away. You may want to test a small area if working on dark fabric. I tried this on a whim and was amazed how well it worked.

February 2, 2010 Flag

How do I remove Silly Putty from clothing? Thank you for info.

A Nobell

My friend sat on my silly putty we tried every thing that you did to and then my dad put the silly putty he got off on the stain then pulled it off and he did that repeatedly until it all came off.

I used the silly putty I could pick off to get the rest off. silly putty sticks to silly putty so it just pulls it right off.

May 2, 2010 Flag

I have silly putty melted into a polyester comforter, any solutions for removal?

By De

I just did this this morning and we are going to try washing it and I'll let you know if it works.

January 17, 2011 Flag

My grandson got Silly Putty all over his bed comforter. How do we get it out? Any suggestions please.

By Dorothea from Tucson, AZ

Answers:

Silly Putty Stain

There are some good suggestions in the ThriftyFun archives below the comments :-) (04/23/2010)

By Deeli

April 22, 2010 Flag

Does anyone know how to get silly putty out of material? My child had silly putty on my sofa throw and the throw was sat on. I have picked off what I can pick off but it's still there.

Thank you,
Cindie

Answers:

Silly Putty Stain

My son sat in silly putty in his nice church pants. Tried salt with no luck. Used Crystal Simple Green Industrial Cleaner/De-greaser and it came right out with a little scraping. (02/01/2010)

By oceanseeker

February 2, 2010 Flag

My granddaughter tried to hide pink Silly Putty between the tongue of her brand new high top tennis shoes and her sock. It was there all day, so by the time she got home it was smeared over both. I've tried putting in the freezer over night, Dawn liquid, and hair spray. It won't move. Please give any suggestions.

By Darlene from Hanahan, SC

Answers:

Silly Putty Stains on Clothing

Try eanut bButter. It works great with chewing gum, so it might work. (12/26/2009)

By jennyjay

December 21, 2009 Flag

My daughter got silly putty all over her coat. It was in the pocket and somehow from sitting on it, etc. it is in spots all over it now. I was able to pick off the "putty" parts, but there were stains left.

I tried to wash it in the washing machine, but the stains remained (however, when it was wet they appeared to be gone). Has anyone tried a remedy after trying to wash them out? She just got the coat a couple of weeks ago and I hope that by washing it the stain wasn't set further. Please let me know any suggestions.

Thank you,
Patty from Spencerville, IN

Answers:

Silly Putty Stains on Clothing

After sitting on my 3 year old's son's Silly Putty in a brand-new shirt, I just now took rubbing alcohol, saturated a cotton ball, then used that to soak the back of the area that the Silly Putty was stuck on. Worked like a dream; the silly putty released and my son can even have it back now. (09/05/2007)

By Gem

Silly Putty Stains on Clothing

Just wanted to offer a non-toxic solution for removing Silly-Putty from clothes: my son had it on on pants (jean-like material) and I used Simple Green. I sprayed it full-strength directly on spot and scraped with credit card. Had to spray a few times, and I kept scraping, but within minutes I had it all removed. Hope this works for you. (10/24/2007)

By Faith in Michigan

Silly Putty Stains on Clothing

Ethyl rubbing alcohol worked the "best". I wouldn't even mess with Goo Gone after using both on fleece and cotton bedsheets. So glad I found this website. (12/07/2007)

By Lisa

Silly Putty Stains on Clothing

Wintergreen scented rubbing alcohol worked wonder's on my little 3 year old's cotton pajama pants in which he slept on Silly Putty all night. Freezing and icing was totally worthless. Thank you. (01/01/2008)

By mdk84

Silly Putty Stains on Clothing

My daughter rubbed the Silly Putty into her favorite pajama pants (100% polyester) because she thought she could get a picture of Strawberry Shortcake. While the putty was still gooey, I used a Q-tip to soak the putty and surrounding area with rubbing alcohol. I then used a butter knife that was a bit serrated to scrape it off slowly. It removed all of it without damaging the material. (03/02/2008)

By Beth from Michigan

Silly Putty Stains on Clothing

I used shaving cream; it works so good. (05/25/2008)

By Sadie

Silly Putty Stains on Clothing

I used the alcohol method on a fuzzy blanket of my daughter's and it came right out with hardly any effort. I'd certainly try it in on clothes now that I had such success. For a dry clean only item, I'd take it to your cleaners and see what they can do and tell them about the alcohol. They'll know how the fabric will react. (07/04/2008)

By kimmom

Silly Putty Stains on Clothing

I'm 15 and my little brother thought it would be funny to stick silly putty on me while I was sleeping. Of course it was on my favorite shirt. I put OXyClean spray on it let it sit and scraped it off with a disposable butter knife. Took 3 minutes. Glad my shirt's OK. (08/11/2008)

Silly putty on clothing

My son got silly putty in his hair, bed, and carpet. Shampoo, conditioner, and a comb took it out of his hair. I used hand sanitizer on the bedding and carpet: just squirt some on the area and rub with your finger-tips until it comes out. It does still leave a little bit of a stain, but it takes it out. Good luck to all. (10/05/2008)

By Amber

Silly Putty Stains on Clothing

I used the dual action Oxy from the Dollar Tree and it got Silly Putty out of my daughter's pants and sheet. She fell asleep with it in her hand. Then, I washed both with a large scoop of the Oxy crystals and some detergent. When I first saw the mess I thought I would have to throw them away. Now, they are both good as new. And best of all, no stains. Thanks. (10/25/2008)

By Beth

Silly Putty Stains on Clothing

My daughter had a sleepover and her friend got Silly Putty on a sweater I bought her for Christmas and a pair of her pajama bottoms that were on her bed. After seeing these different suggestions, I tried a combination of things: Avon Skin So Soft, LA's Totally Awesome (which you can buy at the Dollar Store, which is totally awesome) and Spray and Wash. I think that the Totally Awesome worked the best. Thanks for all of the suggestions. I got it all out. (02/21/2009)

By Anna Sophie089

October 14, 2009 Flag

Does anyone know how to get silly putty out of material? My child had silly putty on my sofa throw and the throw was sat on. I have picked off what I can pick off but its still there.

September 7, 2006 Flag

How do you get silly putty out of clothes?

August 25, 2006 Flag

My son got silly putty stuck to his shirt and I can't get it out. Any suggestions?

Home and Garden Cleaning Clothing StainsNovember 27, 2011
red putty egg
Removing Silly Putty Stains from Microfiber
red putty egg
Removing Silly Putty from Carpet
red putty egg
Removing Silly Putty from Upholstered Furniture
red putty egg
Removing Silly Putty from Hair
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 25, 2016 at 10:05:42 AM on 10.0.1.7 in 6 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.