Freezing Cooked Ham

I was given a precooked, frozen 10 lb. boneless ham for Christmas. I have allowed this ham to thaw in the lower part of my refrigerator. I will not be able to eat all of this ham before the first of the year. Can I refreeze smaller portions in freezer bags for use later in recipes that call for ham?

By Grandma Mary from Fort Collins, CO

Best Answer

If it hasn't totally thawed out but still has some frost in it you can cut it into manageable sized portions and refreeze them. But if it's totally thawed I would heat it as the instructions direct, use the portion you need for your Christmas dinner then double wrap portions the size you want and freeze them for up to 3 months. After 3 months the meat should still be edible but will probably have lost some quality of texture so I would only use it for soup or something long cooking where it's not he "star of the meal" so to speak.

Yes you can, good luck.

Yes, you can refreeze it. But the quality may not be as good. Freezing cause the water in cells to expand, breaking the cell walls. When food is refrozen, more cells are broken. This results in mushier or softer quality food. If you are planning to use it in bean soup or the like it should be fine. It may help the texture a bit if you fry the refrozen/rethawed ham before using it to get rid of excess water. In any case, it's worth a try rather than losing the leftovers entirely.

Double bag it in freezer bags and it will be ok. With one bag it changes taste after awhile and it is not really good. I was giving it away rather then freeze it till I tried the double bags.

Grandma Mary,

This page gives all the times to ;

Keep in your Fridge or Freezer.

http://www.nanc … torage-chart.htm

L8r ;

redskin.