Lentil Vegetable Curry

I can't remember where I originally found this recipe, but I finally decided to give it a try. As with most recipes I try for the first time, it's tweaked a bit. I just can't help myself - LOL ;-) It looks like a lot of prep work but it won't seem like it once you are thoroughly enjoying this complete meal! When ready to serve, place over a bed of rice and sliced pita bread pieces for scooping on the side. If you do happen to have leftovers, this dish tastes even better reheated the next day!

• 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
  • 1 tsp. crushed garlic
  • 2 tsp. ground coriander
  • 1 tsp. ground cumin
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 3 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
  • 1/8 tsp. ground cumin
  • 1 small shallot, minced
  • 1 Tbsp. tomato paste
  • 1 Tbsp. of water
  • 1 1/4 cups dried lentils
  • 1/4 tsp. ground turmeric
  • 5 cups water
  • 4 oz. green beans, cut into 1 inch pieces
  • 4 oz. collard greens, inner stems removed and discarded, finely chopped
  • 1 large celery rib, sliced
  • 3/4 cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
  • 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
  • 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
  • salt, to taste

Directions:

Combine the ginger, garlic, coriander, and the 1 teaspoon ground cumin in a small bowl and stir in the 1/4 cup of water to make a paste.

Heat olive oil in a small skillet. Add the 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin and shallot and cook, stirring, until lightly browned, about 1 minute. Add the bowl of spice paste and let cook until most of the liquid has evaporated, about 2 minutes. Stir in the tomato paste and the 1 tablespoon of water, cook until thick, about 1 minute, and set aside.

Combine the lentils, turmeric, and the 5 cups of water in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer over low heat for 20 minutes, until the lentils are barely tender.

Add the green beans, collard greens, celery, the 3/4 cup cilantro, and the cayenne, stir and season with salt. Cook until the lentils and vegetables are tender, about 15 minutes.

Add the cooked spice paste that was set aside and the remaining cilantro, stir, and simmer for an additional 5 minutes and serve.

By Deeli from Richland, WA

Great recipe, actually not all that much prep, just a lot of ingredients.

I look forward to trying this in the fall!

Vegetable Curry
Vegetable Curry Recipes
Food and Recipes Recipes VegetarianJuly 20, 2011
Lamb curry in a pan with a side of white rice.
Lamb Curry Recipes
Lentil Soup
Lentil Soup Recipes
Curry in Wooden Spoon
Removing Curry Stains
Red Curry Sauce
Curry Sauce Recipes
🎄
🍂