The Bottom of My Tomatoes are Turning Brown

My tomatoes are turning brown on the bottom.

Hardiness Zone: 6b

By Cecil from Paducah, KY

This is probably blossom end rot. It occurs at the bottom of the tomato and sort of looks like a bruise that may or may not be indented somewhat. Crushed egg shells in the dirt will replace a calcium shortage which is frequently the cause. Also, too much water and/or fertilizer (indicated particularly if you have plants that are very tall but not bearing much fruit) can cause blossom end rot. Pick the affected fruit as soon as you notice the problem so the plant's energy is spent on healthy fruit instead. Usually only affects some of the fruit on a plant, and most often only the first fruits.

This so helpful, I thought I was over watering them, the plants are 5 foot tall and just now showing fruit. thanks you the plants are really show a lot of fruit now and I'm glad I asked.

Tomatoes with blossom end rot.
Dealing With Blossom End Rot on Tomatoes
Home and Garden Gardening Plant HealthJune 15, 2010
Canned Tomatoes on White Background
Canning Tomatoes
Scoop of brown rice. Freezing brown rice.
Freezing Brown Rice
Dogwood tree in spring.
Leaves Turning Brown on Dogwood Tree
Tw Red Tomatoes sitting in Ice
Using Frozen Tomatoes
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 24, 2017 at 2:14:09 AM on 10.0.1.55 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.