Milk Jugs for Dry Storage

Don't cut up your plastic milk jugs! I wash them out and then use them for storage. It's much easier to pour powdered milk from the plastic jug than the large cardboard boxes and I can see how much I have left. Prevents running out when I need it for a recipe. I also use the jugs to store dried beans that I buy in bulk (cheaper), elbow macaroni, sugar, flour, and corn meal.. The handle really makes the jobs easier.

By Lisa

Milk jugs are also great for storing wet stuff. They hold 4 litres of liquid. (Ours in Canada do.) I mix up, by the milk jug, Round-up and Malathion (I buy them in a concentrated form) to use around our acreage. I also like to use empty washed out milk jugs when we have a lot of people over and are needing lots of iced tea or koolaid. I've also seen people cut out a hole in the side opposite the handle and place their clothes pins inside (easy to grab and use on wash day).

I LOVE this idea. With 2 young children we go through quite a bit of milk and I would love to reuse the many empty milk jugs instead of pitching in the recycling bin; however I would just want to be certain that the plastic they are made out of is not harmful using long term. Does anyone know?

I have been told that it is not possible to get all traces of milk and bacteria out of a milk jug, so you should never, ever use it for long-term storage of drinking water (like in emergency supplies). That said, I suppose that if you've washed it thoroughly, it's *probably* safe to use for preparing drinks for immediate use, or for storing dry foods like beans. I wouldn't store powdered milk in it, though, or anything powdered or granulated, just to be safe.

Milk Jug On White Background
Uses for Milk Jugs
Food and Recipes StorageOctober 31, 2004
Plastic Milk Jug
Crafts Using Milk Jugs
Milk Jug Snoopy
Milk Jug Snoopy Craft
Milk Jug Ring Earrings
Making Milk Jug Ring Earrings
A single plastic 1/2 gallon milk jug against a black background.
Using Milk Jugs in the Garden
🎉
🎄