WallpaperHome Improvement

Removing Wallpaper in a Manufactured Home

Category Wallpaper

I have a manufactured home which came with pre-papered wallboard. I want to remove it and re-paper but I don't know if it is possible to do. Anybody out there who has done this I would really like to hear from you.

k8 from Pennsylvania

The wall paper in my manufactured home was not wall paper but actually part of the wall board itself!! If I were to remove it the dry wall would actually start peeling. I invented my own way to texturize the walls so I could paint. In one room I used joint compound (fairly cheap, spreads far) and spread it on the wall with a spatula. You can then use a roller or a sponge to get a texture you like. Let the joint compound dry for a day or so. Then I painted with a brush right over the joint compound. The look is kind of messy and if you are a perfectionist it is not for you. The look is very irregular but it looked better than the tacky wall paper. In the bathroom I blended the joint compound with 3 colors of paint: rust, apricot and off white. I mixed the colors and joint compound just enough for some of the colors to blend but not enough to make a new color. I really liked this technique. I have attached a picture of the bathroom. I have been able to wipe clean the walls in the kitchen but I would not scrub hard on the walls as the joint compound may rub off.

wyoKrista is correct that is "The Wall" to your home.

DO NOT even try to remove this!

Score the walls you want to change, that is sandpaper so that you get a rough surface so that paint or wallpaper may have something to adhere to. If I where you, I actually put a primer on after scoring but make sure the wall(s) are smooth (dust & "smooth" down) before applying the next layer of whatever you want them to have.

Lots of work, but worth it so not to destroy your orginial walls...

I peeled the wall paper off by scoring and tearing. It was some big job. The wall was not smooth, but the texture was fine for me. I just put primer then paint.

I like the idea of joint compound and color. It looks great in the picture, and I just may redo my wall now.

I don't know much about wallpapering, but my mobile home had wallboard and paneling throughout!

I've just cleaned, primed and painted both the wallboard and paneling with no problems (other than it taking several coats to cover dark blue flowers that were on wallboard!) Some people would take the time and effort to fill the paneling grooves, but I didn't. I actually love the look of painted paneling, reminds me of beadboard!

I have that in one of my bathrooms. I just washed them, primed them with Kilz primer, and put new wallpaper right over it. It worked great and I have never had a problem with any peeling, etc. If you prefer to have painted walls, you can get the "paintable wallpaper at Menard's. I've also used that and love it!