Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Strange Bump On Dachshund's Belly

I have a 4 year old dachshund. For about 2 weeks (or more) she has had this funny looking bump/growth on her belly above her navel. Do you know what it could be and if there is anything I can do for it? It is not draining and is not sore. It started out as a red rashy kind of skin, like she had scratched there. She had a herniated navel at birth just below the bump. Please help!

Lori from Spring Hope, NC

By

By Lori (Guest Post)08/15/2008

The bump on my Dachsund went away & has never returned nor has anymore popped up. THANK YOU very much for ALL the information & advice. God Bless, Lori & Bailey (Dachsund)
From Spring Hope, NC

By Dog Mama (Guest Post)08/14/2008

My little bichon developed a problem with bumps that looked exactly like this. I would definitely have your vet look at it to make sure, but in my dog's case they were benign cysts and nothing to worry about. They would start as a rough patch of skin, and then the bump would appear.

By Linda Smith (Guest Post)06/11/2008

One of our dogs had a similar spot. It burst. There was puss inside. After it burst, we cleaned it and let it drain and put an antiseptic the vet had given us for another treatment and it cleared up. I would advise you to take your dog to the vet. This could be caused from a cat bite known as cat scratch fever and can be fatal if untreated. Maybe an insect bit your dog and it is infected. Either way, the vet is your best and safest if you really care about your pet. Your dog could have a fever which is another indication of an infection. It is red which leads me to believe it is "active" and not a dead growth.

By Robin (Guest Post)05/28/2008

Don't mess around. Take the dog to a vet and get it checked out. It looks similar to a skin tumor that my daughter's pit bull had removed a few months ago. The tumor was benign, but it would not have gotten better and gone away on it's own. It had to be removed.

By Lois Viars05/28/2008

My dog a little Chihuahua had a place on her back leg look like that looks,took her to Va Tech Vet School and it was CANCER HIGHLY AGGRESSIVE please take your dog to a good Vet. We had Daisy's removed been about a year and as of yet nothing has returned but if I had waited it would have spread fast. Only the VET can test it and know for sure what it is.
Lois

By petlover (Guest Post)05/28/2008

Please take your pet to the vet and find out what you are dealing with instead of wasting what might be precious time trying home remedies.

By Kathy (Guest Post)05/28/2008

My little fat beagle has something that looks just like this. It did not get any larger. They told us it was just a fatty tumor. They had tested it to see what was inside of it. They said as she gets older she may get more, but they are harmless.

By Hector R. Lopez (Guest Post)05/27/2008

We had a beautiful black cocker spaniel, as she got older the vet advised us to surgically repmove her tumors like growth as the one in your picture. They never stop growing. After several very expensive treatments she was diagnosed with skin cancer. It broke our hearts but we had to let her go. If the vets would have examined those tumors a little bit closer "Fuzzy" would still be with us today. Make sure your vet treat this as it was the worse condition. You may be able to help your best friend live longer. I ounf theis web page that may have good iformation in the subject: (http://www.thepetcenter.com/exa/lumps.html) Good Luck!

By Candy [1]05/27/2008

Could be just a benign mass. Get your vet to aspirate the mass and look at it under the microscope. It might just be a histiocytoma or a mole-like growth. But noone can tell by looking at a picture. Get her examined.

By (Guest Post)05/27/2008

Hi, I have a pit bull with the same trouble. Here is what the vet said to me. First put some benadryl cream on the spot and see if it heals. (it could be an allergy spot) The other thing she told me was to put Preparation H cream on it. That will shrink it and get rid of it. I hope that helps

Lisa

bambi69147 AT hotmail.com