Cleaning a Garage Floor

What is the best way to clean a garage floor and get rid of odors? I just moved into a rental house and the garage floor has a lot of oil spots on it and I think they keep their pets in the garage also. I didn't know if I need to buy some type of special commercial cleaner for the floor or will water and ammonia do the job? How can I remove the odors?

Onesummer

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

You might try going to a janitorial supply or similar place, and getting a quart or gallon of deodorizing enzyme stuff, apply and leave; it should permanently digest odor producing bacteria. But first I'd try white vinegar, full strength over a 6x6 foot area say, leave it to dry, and see how it smells. Certainly less expensive.

I wouldn't use ammonia, because urine is undoubtedly present, which produces ammonia, and you want to neutralize that alkali (vinegar), or digest (enzymes).

I learned this trick while I was working at a truck stop: If you have some powdered Tide laundry cleaner, that will work fine. Just wet down the area, sprinkle the powder down, scrub spots as necessary, and then rinse. This should also get rid of pet smells. Ammonia is not a good idea as it resembles the smell of animal urine and may actually attract more pets!

We always use kitty litter. Don't use the clumping kind, just the regular kitty litter. You can even use the cheaper one from the Dollar Store. Sprinkle it over the stains and grind in with your foot. Let it sit overnight and then sweep up. It absorbs the oil and the odor.

For the oil spots, after you do the kitty litter thing, mix up some hot wash water with dawn dishwashing liquid and use that to mop the floor (with an old mop that you dont' want to use in the house again.)

Dawn will take out a lot of oil.

try using jeyes fluid undiluted

Answer

Home and Garden Cleaning FloorsSeptember 22, 2008
Homemade Wood Floor Cleaner Recipes
Homemade Wood Floor Cleaner Recipes
Cleaning Tile Floors, Textured blue floor tile.
Cleaning Textured Flooring
dirty garage floor
Removing Oil Stains from Garage Floor
garage sale
Preparing for a Garage Sale
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on April 13, 2016 at 10:25:07 AM on 10.0.2.62 in 722 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.