General AdviceConsumer Advice

Making Glasses Less Shiny

I just got new glasses and the lenses are extremely shiny. Yes, you're right, I didn't pay extra for anti-reflective coating. The lenses are high-index plastic. Any ideas for making them less shiny? I'd prefer not to do this, but have any of you taken the glasses back and had the anti-reflective coating applied later?

By straightace from MD

If you take them back, you may void your warranty, so be sure that you take them to the person you bought them from and ask. High indexes are very fragile, so don't even think of taking anything to them. Time alone will wear them down, and you'll wish before long you had that problem. I dry mine with a terry towel or microfiber wipe, not Kleenex, and that seems to help.

I got the anti-reflective coating on a pair of glasses I once had, and I hated it! They looked fantastic when they were clean. But that was the problem - they were impossible to keep clean!

Even though I was extremely careful with them, they constantly got smudges around the edges of the lenses from taking them on and off, and I had to clean them constantly (with the special anti-reflective cleaning supplies). The coating behaved almost like a thin layer of oil, and even the lightest brush with a finger tip left a smudge.

I mentioned my frustration about them one day to my co-workers, and several joined in to say they hated their anti-reflective lenses, too, for the same reason.

That was about 10 years ago, so maybe they've improved them. But based on my own experience I would tell anyone thinking of getting that coating to think twice and then think again before going ahead with it.

I opted out of getting the expensive anti-glare for my glasses once and regretted the decision immediately. I took them back to the shop I had gotten them from and asked if there was something they could do for me.

The young lady that took care of me told me that if i would get a light tint on the glasses that it would help with the glare and it would cost much less then anti-glare coating. She told me that they don't like to tell everyone about it because it very inexpensive and they prefer that people get the more expensive services. So you can try by getting a slight tint on your glasses and hope that helps you. It helped me.