Making Fabric Less Shiny

Shiny Pink Fabric
Fabric can be shiny as a result of wear or because of its fiber content. Trying to reduce the shine may be possible. This is a guide about making fabric less shiny.

I bought a lace cami online that is beautiful, except the photo was deceiving. The fabric appeared to be cotton. Of course it was an impulse buy and I didn't check to see what the fabric actually was made of. It is 95% polyester and 5% spandex. I love the design of this cami, but I hate the shine, it makes it look cheap. How can I dull the shine of this fabric? Please help I am desperate.

Answers

I read on a costume site that you could mist it with vinegar then wash it but I have no idea if that's true. I have an overly shiny cami that I feel the same way about. I'll try it and be our guinea pig! :)

I have a shiny nightgown that I am using as a Halloween prop and I need to make the fabric dull. Can anyone help with suggestions? I am desperate for this.

Thanks.

By Lydia P

Answers

Have you tried washing it in warm-hot water?

Can you use the gown inside out? Many shiny fabrics have a dull back.

Why are you using a satin gown as a costume, when there's tons of real costumes. A satin gown is suppose to be shiny. That's like buying gold and saying "How can I take the golden color out of the gold". Get another gown as a costume. Because that's the point of a satin fabric, it shines.

Yes.Yor suggestion on turning the gown inside out is a useful one. Because many satin fabrics have a non shiny side and a shiny side.As you know,satin has shininess,that is the main trait characteristic of the fabric.That's what makes it special.If you go to buy a motorcycle but they have Ferrari cars instead.Are you going to say"How can I turn the ferrari into a motorcycle?"I don't think so.If you don't want a satin fabric then get another fabric.A Ferrari is a Ferrari and a motorcycle a motorcycle.My point is that satin and silk are suppose to shine that is why they are made that way.But thank you for your suggestion.It saves a lot of time and it may save the satin gown also.Because it can be turned back shiny side out again like intended later on.Thanks again.

Because sometimes you like a fabric but need it to be dull for the stage effect.

Does anybody know how I can remove the shine that has developed on several pairs of my dark suit pants? it's driving me crazy and I'd really like to remove it.

Thanks for your help.

Dan

Answers

Soak and ring out an old, clean piece of material with hydrogen peroxide. Place it on shine suit and steam iron.

Hi Fred,

Here is a remedy from http://vintages  33-pt/pt-01.html

"Removing Shine.- Sometimes, in the construction of woolen garments, certain parts, especially seams and overlapping edges, become shiny or glossy from improper pressing. Also, as is well known, a woolen material that consists of hard or firmly twisted threads is likely to become glossy from hard wear. To remove the shine, first place over it a press cloth that is slightly damper than one needed for ordinary pressing. Then hold a hot iron very close to the press cloth, but not on it, keeping the iron in one position long enough to allow the steam an opportunity to penetrate the fabric. Then lift the press cloth and brush the fabric briskly to roughen its surface a trifle in order to take away the shine.

Repeat this process until every trace of the shine is removed. Then, dry the steamed material thoroughly, holding the iron close enough to the press cloth so that the fabric will appear to have been carefully pressed, although the iron has not touched it."

The hydrogen peroxide may also work but I'd try this first. The peroxide might bleach the fabric. A press cloth is a clean cotton cloth that has been slightly dampened. When you use a press cloth, the wool or suit fabric never comes directly in contact with the iron.

Susan from ThriftyFun

Does anyone know a way to get rid of the shine on the fabric of men's suits that comes with age and wear? I know that one answer is to not send suits to the cleaner too often. Ideas? Thanks.

Fred

Guys, when you need to remove shine from your pants or suit jackets, it helps to mix up some vinegar and water, 1 part vinegar to 3 parts water, and spray it lightly on the shiny pants and suits. I learned this trick a while back and it's pretty good, though not permanent. When your pants are worn enough so that they're shining you'll have to stay after them. There doesn't seem to be a one-stop fix until you buy another pair of pants or suit. (I'm still looking for a one-time fix). Because the shininess shows up mostly on navy blue and black pants I don't worry about brown, green or khaki pants that have some shine. Actually, I don't care one way or another about the shine, but I'm a lawyer and work in the same firm as my girlfriend. Periodically she gets after me about needing to invest in a new wardrobe. Instead of going to Brooks Bros. and pulling out my credit card, I reach for the vinegar.

Peroxide can bleach colors sometimes. I only use peroxide on whites.

Interesting that you mentioned Brooks Brothers...it is my blue Brooks Brothers jacket that is shining.

I bought fabric to make a skirt and it's too shiny. It's for a play and the lights will make it even worse. How do I make the fabric less shiny? Please help.

I've just received my bridesmaids dresses and don't like them at all. They're made of a brown polyester and an ivory acetate lining underneath. I love the colors, but the two fabrics together create this horrible shiny, slinky, dizzy look. Is there any spray or a way to take away the shine without taking the fabric out or buying a new dress?

Christina from Bethesda, MD

Answers

I bet someone at a fabric shop or craft store may know of something to use. If you can't spray it or something, maybe a seamstress can sew some kind of slip in...I hope it doesn't become too stressful. I got married less than a year ago, and some things that I stressed to the max about just weren't worth it in the end.

Sounds to me as if the underskirt material is the problem.If you have a friend or relative who sews she probably can cut it out from inside and make a new one of a matching brown cotton of soft satin and it should tone it down.If it doesn't really need the extra lining inside and is not too see-through,cut it out and don't use any lining.Bless your heart,little details can sure stress out a Bride.Just remember it's only one day.Let this be the happiest day of your life! GOOD LUCK!!

Shiny is not a dizzy look.Slinky is gorgeous and elegant.The word shine comes from a old Germanic word Shoen.Which means beautiful.My suggestion is to leave the bridesmaids gowns exactly the same, because it you tamper with the satin fabric's intended shineyou are going to damage the gowns and even cause them to loose any retail value if you decide to sell them on an ebay or other site.

I bought some material that is 38 percent silk and 62 percent wool. The correct side is shiny, the dull side will pill if used on the outside. How can I dull down the shiny side permanently before the fabric is made into clothing? Will using a press cloth help? Washing in hot water shrinks the material a huge amount. The fabric is black. Help.

By Susan L.

Answers

Sounds like you bought a beautiful and unique as well as expensive shiny fabric.Buy another fabric because if you try to take out the intended shine of the fabric then you are going to damage it and compromise the whole fabric's integrity.Leave it as is.Shiny.Did you know that shiny is better?

Did you know that velvet is hideous?

Part of wanting to remove the shine of velvet comes from the fact that the gritty shine make the fabric look cheap. I got velvet as a gift. I HATE velvet with a passion. But I don't want to be rude and give it back. I like what I got, just not the material used.

Does the story matter? No, it takes attention away from the question.

The point is does anyone have any relevant information on how to remove the shine from a fabric, or are you just going to continue to be petty in regards to a fabric that isn't going to be used on you.

Literally no one asked if you like the shine. The question is how to get rid of it.

The most useful answer so far has been hot water and detergent, with the side effects that it may or may not shrink the garment.

My armchair slipcover fabric is too shiny. The store owner told me that would disappear after washing it in cold water. It didn't. Help please.
Jacky

By Jacky from Los Angeles

Anonymous

If you have a receipt and/or have a good rapport with the store owner I would return the slip cover or simply 'gently' rough up the fabric with a fine grade pumice stone.

If the store owner told you that the shininess would come out and it didn't, then I would take it back.

I found some polyester curtain panels at Target. They are the perfect color, but they have more of a shine than I like. Is there any way to gently remove the shine? I would like the fabric to have more of a flat finish as opposed to the gloss. A friend mentioned that even some raw silks have a sheen to them to make me like them better now that they are hung. Any thoughts or suggestions?

By Sloan S.

Is the finish less shiny on the reverse side of the curtains? If so, could you unstitch and restitch the hems? 2. Spraying fabrics with vinegar and water can dull shine for a while. Try spraying a panel with 1 part vinegar to 3 parts water (1/4 cup vinegar and 3/4 cup water). Let dry, and if it looks like what you want, do all the panels. Repeat as needed. Hope this helps.