How to Chop an Onion
- Trim off the flat top end of the onion, that is opposite the root end.
- Set the onion down on the cut side so it won't roll around. Cut the onion in half lengthwise, through the root end.
- Peel the outer yellow/brown skin from the onion.
- Slice through the onion from the root to the cut end, keeping the root end intact. This will hold the onion together and make the rest of the chopping easier. Make the slices thinner for a dice.
The onion will look like this now. We spread the onion out a little more then it normally would be so you can see the slices.
- Make a couple of horizontal cuts from the cut end towards the root end.
- Chop the onion from the cut end to the root end. Again, cut thinner slices for a dice.
- Toss the last bit of the root end in the compost or save it for making soup stock later.
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!
In This Article
You are viewing the desktop version of this page: View Mobile Site
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by ThriftyFun
generated on December 7, 2016 at 4:29:04 AM on 10.0.1.227 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer
. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us