Spam Emails Being Sent from My Account

It looks like someone has been using my account to send spam. I keep getting failure notices for mail (spam) that I didn't send. How do I stop this? Thanks.

By Tami from Ojai, CA

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

Change your password immediately!

This happened with many facebook members. Change you facebook and your email passwords.

Yes, change your passwords. This happened to me.

You might want to check for viruses. Many viruses are created to do this.

I have been dealing with this all week. I signed up at Sally's Beauty Supply for their discount club. I purposely used a "dead" email address that I have not used in 3 years. Two days after signing up for the club card, me and all my friends/family have received SPAM emails. So be careful about giving out your email address. And when signing up for clubs that say they don't sell your address know that it is a bold faced lie. Especially with Sally's Beauty Supply.

I kept getting messages from a friends mail account and it was messages she did not send. I'm confused as to how this could happen.

Add your voice! Click below to comment on this post or add your answer to this question. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom.

April 29, 2010 Flag

Angela

Answers:

Spam Emails Being Sent from My Account

This happens to me also on and off with one (only one) of my AOL e-mail accounts. I contacted them and they verified that no one had 'invaded' my computer and took over by sending e-mails. They said it is not difficult for someone to fake an e-mail with someone else's address. They have me forward them to them, whenever if happens. as my e-mails show details of the origin of the e-mail.

Every computer has a signature to it. This helps your ISP to track down such people. So contact your ISP. They should be able to guide you in trying to solve your problem. It helped a lot with me, although occasionally I still get them. (01/12/2009)

By Memere

Spam Emails Being Sent from My Account

I would contact whoever I have my email account with and forward them the failures and ask them what can be done to fix this problem. (01/12/2009)

By caraing

Spam Emails Being Sent from My Account

I have been having a similar problem lately. I am getting spam that comes in as "to me" and "from me." Since my first name is often mistaken to be the name of a man, I get all those nasty emails that are geared for males. This has just started in the past few weeks. I actually have 2 addresses; one with google, and one with our local ISP, and they are using my google mail to send to my other mail also.

I could have it filtered out with my ISP mail, but my ISP does not let me check the spam before it is deleted, and sometimes they mistake good emails for spam. So I asked them to take the filters off. But for several years I have not had a problem. I checked the headers once, and all the information they gave me there was that it was coming from someone "pretending" to be me. But I already knew that much. Oh, well, it only takes a minute to move them over into the JUNK file. (01/12/2009)

By Harlean from Arkansas

Spam Emails Being Sent from My Account

They are not necessarily sending mail from your account. They are probably sending it from their own account, but putting your email in the FROM field. When an email delivery fails, the receiving server sends the notification back to whatever address is in the FROM field. With the right software, you can put any conceivable address in the FROM field, and it's very common for spammers to put the "wrong" address there. Think about it this way: you could send a letter to someone but a different "return address" on the envelope. On the surface, it would look like the other guy sent the letter. (01/12/2009)

By joshreeves

Spam Emails Being Sent from My Account

This happened to me a few months back. They even deleted all of my contacts in my address book. I had to change my password and it fixed the problem. I waited a week or so and changed it back and it happened again. So I would try changing my password and not changing it back. (01/13/2009)

By Krystle

Computers SpamApril 29, 2010
can of spam
Recipes Using Spam
A finger with a pink bow tied on it.
Save-The-Date Ideas
Yahoo Mail
Troubleshooting Problems with Yahoo Mail
Overdrawn bank account.
Dealing With an Overdrawn Bank Account
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 20, 2016 at 10:47:32 AM on 10.0.0.63 in 569 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.