Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Making a Drapery Sample Tote Bag

his durable bag made from recycled drapery samples is great for shopping or as a gift. This is a guide about making a drapery sample tote bag. T

April 12, 2010 Flag

I made this purse from drapery samples. Using a basic pattern from a sewing pattern book, I cut out and interfaced a tote bag. I also cut the lining at the same time. Before sewing it together, I made ruffles out of strips that are sewn right sides together and then turned and gathered, using a long stitch on your machine. You could also serge the ruffles, thus eliminating turning them and the extra thickness.

I then layered the ruffles, starting with the edge in the center, sew that one, then do the second one and repeat on the other side.

Then I cut one strip to cover the raw edges in the middle that is flat. Add handles after sewing the seams on the tote and add lining. With my lining I put a pocket all around inside the perimeter before I sewed the lining in place.

Keep one side or the bottom open large enough to turn it. You can use fabric that you don't particularly like or is outdated because you only see a small bit of the pattern in the ruffles. I think this looks rather springy.

By Elaine from IA

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

For some reason, the picture did not get posted. So here it is.

Wow, such nice work! Thanks so much for sharing this with us!

Great job, awesome bag!