Buying Fertile Duck Eggs

My family and I are looking to start a nice little farm with some ducks. I was wondering if anyone knew where I can get FERTILE mallard or pekin DUCK eggs. I have called over 50 different places around CT and either no one has them or they are charging an arm and a leg. I'm only looking for 2 or 3 fertile eggs tops. We're trying to start off small but most places are only willing to sell us 20 at a time. If anyone could help me out it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Sarah from Avon, CT

Have you checked with the McMurray Hatchery yet? Their website is: If they can't help you, they probably know people who can.

Good luck!

I would check with the people that sell grain/chicken feed -a supplier generally knows his customers and also with the farmers that sell at your farmer's market. If they don't have duck eggs or ducks, I bet that they know someone that does. My dad had an aviary for years and he had ducks everywhere. If you buy the first ducklings, you'll have duck eggs from then on. Also there are 4H projects that involve raising farm animals and anyone involved with that might know. The thing with ducks is that the first moving animal they see is their "MAMA". I had a dozen ducklings that called me mama and everytime I came out the backdoor, they were hot on my heels. I wouldn't have traded that experience, it was quite fun and they followed me until they were well into adulthood.

Do you have a university that has an agricultural department? The may be willing to part with just a couple (my sister got a few turkey eggs for her daughter's school's science project). Our town has ducks in the park, and often will give some away to thin the flock. I'm sure they'd part with some eggs too, since kids often break them.

You can buy them at Thanks.

June 11, 20080 found this helpful is a great place.

October 20, 20080 found this helpful is the only place I buy from. They have the best price and my hatches are excellent!!

Check out, and, Both of which offer fertile duck eggs in batches of 3, 6, 1 dozen, or 2 dozen. Perfect for the home, backyard set-up, and allowing you to start out small, and work your way up, as you go. And the prices aren't bad at all, but you will have to pay for shipping. One warning though, is to request that your box of eggs be marked: "Please do not X-ray!" As the radiation from the X-ray machine the Post Office uses, can damage the eggs. But with the help from the seller, your eggs will be in perfect condition. You won't even likely have a single egg cracked in shipment, but sellers pretty much always include a couple extra eggs, just in case! Hope this helps you out! Good Luck, and Happy Bidding! ;o)

Pets BirdsApril 8, 2007
Mallard Duck swimming in a lake.
Mallard Duck Information and Photos
Illustration of two kids in costumes.  A witch and a pirate.
Making a Donald and Daisy Duck Costume
Duck eggs in a nest.
Moving Duck Eggs
A duckling being hatched.
Caring for Duck Eggs