Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Cleaning Grease Splatters Off Walls

How do I get grease off of the wall?

By Dana from Lacombe, LA

By Ashersisk11/14/2013

A quality citris cleaner should work well. Make sure its not a watered down version. Home improvement centers with have it. Use it with a soft mildly abrasive cloth or sponge. Apply to area let sit 10-15 mins and wipe. Repeated applications may be needed.

If its been there too long you may take the paint off and that would have to be repaired. Mr. Clean pads don't work well I tried that already myself.

By Hallie [5]01/03/2011

Use a strong solution of ammonia water. Works every time! :)

By Theresa [3]12/31/2010

Mr. Clean Magic Erasers, safe on painted walls, they are amazing! (Just don't use on wood or laminate.)

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Cleaning Grease Splatters Off Walls

I need advice about how to clean grease splatters on glossy paint around stove?

Kay from Kalamazoo, MI

RE: Cleaning Grease Splatters Off Walls

Use a sponge and a little bit of baking soda (12/04/2006)

RE: Cleaning Grease Splatters Off Walls

Try the Mr. Clean magic eraser. It's fabulous. Dollar Tree also has a similar product. (12/04/2006)

By Andrea

RE: Cleaning Grease Splatters Off Walls

There is a product you can buy at any local hardware store called TSP, it is fantastic. It comes ready to use or heavy duty mix it yourself, I prefer to mix it myself. (09/05/2007)

RE: Cleaning Grease Splatters Off Walls

Using white vinegar, washing soda, or Borax cleaner are all good grease removers. I mixed washing soda with Borax and boiled it on stove top to thoroughly dissolve it. I made a small portion for a small job, ie.: 1/8 cup washing soda, and 1 /4 cup Borax. Added about 2 quarts water. You can adjust portions as that was more than I needed. A little goes a long way. Vinegar and water are excellent.

Then there is the recipe for overnight cleaning a grungy oven. Sprinkle generously with baking soda (Cooking kind) and wetting to make it wet/damp. Leave on overnight and simply use soap and water to wash out the oven the next morning. I had to try it to believe it. (called the lazy way to clean oven.) It really does work. The point is this: all above ways will remove kitchen grease. (06/28/2008)

By oredwine1933

How to get grease off of walls? The people who lived in our apartment before us didn't clean very well before they moved. There are grease splatters on the wall behind the stove, between the top of the stove and the hood. I have tried everything to get those dried up splatter spots off of the wall and nothing budges them. How can I get at least 3 year old grease splatters off of a painted wall?

By Donna from Tipp City, OH

RE: Cleaning Grease Splatters Off Walls

Mr Clean eraser will do it. It is the only thing that worked for me. (03/27/2009)

By Cora-Sue

RE: Cleaning Grease Splatters Off Walls

TSP is great on grease, it will clean it up nicely. (03/27/2009)

By PICO

RE: Cleaning Grease Splatters Off Walls

Ok, I'm not usually one for store-bought, premade cleaners. However, I ran into the same issue in our house, which has a gas stovetop, with a Formica back-wall, and a full range vent hood. It was all completely greased, with the yellowy-solid crud that sticks! (Who knows how old that stuff was?) The only easy thing that I found that worked was, surprisingly, Lysol Antibacterial Kitchen Cleaner. It literally dissolved the old deposits and didn't smear it all over, like some of the other cleaners that I tried. It didn't take much elbow grease to get the crud up and off of the surfaces. I've since used it on paint and it didn't damage it, either, although I'd test a small patch, before using, just in case. There are also professional degreasers that work well, but most of them will eat the skin right off of your hands and the paint off of your walls, so, try the Lysol stuff. I only use it for this application and a bottle will last you a very long time. Good luck! (03/27/2009)

By leopardstripes

RE: Cleaning Grease Splatters Off Walls

Greased Lightening works great on just about any surface I've used it on, including getting axle grease out of my truck driver husband's clothes, the BBQ grill, our brushed chrome stovetop, and our wood walls. You can find it at any grocery store or home improvement store, but it's cheapest at WalMart.

Pat T (03/27/2009)

By patom

RE: Cleaning Grease Splatters Off Walls

A woman recently told me she uses Greased Lightening for everything. It's her favorite cleaner and you can buy it at Dollar Tree. She said they buy the big bottle and refill the sprayer.

After I cleaned it good with a grease removing product and maybe using TSP to clean the wall, I"d paint it with a good primer and repaint it. I think the kind of stain you're talking about needs to be repainted. (03/29/2009)

By Carol in PA

RE: Cleaning Grease Splatters Off Walls

Make a paste of baking soda and water and rub in on the spot with a cloth. (04/01/2009)

By Scooter 2