Preventing Bacon Grease Splatters

Category Cooking Tips
It is a good thing bacon tastes so good, because the spatters are not so good. However, there are some ways to prevent the mess. This is a guide about preventing bacon grease splatters.

When you cook bacon on the stove, you can stop the splatter of grease on your stove and your hands and arms by putting a wadded up paper towel in the pan with the cooking bacon. The paper towel will absorb the excess grease as the bacon cooks. Add a second towel if you need to. When the bacon is cooked and the pan and the grease cooled; remove the towel and throw it away. I have been doing this for many years, and it never fails.

By Lizzyanny from Pacific Northwest

For perfectly crisp bacon that doesn't make a huge splattering mess in your kitchen, add a tablespoon of water to your pan after placing the bacon inside. The water will render the fat, keeping splashes at bay, while the heat continues to crisp your bacon well after all the water has evaporated.

I keep a shaker, with large holes, filled with flour beside my stove. When I'm frying bacon, I sift some on the bacon in the pan. The bacon does not swivel up or spatter as much when frying. The bacon goes farther because it lies flat. It's much neater too when making bacon, lettuce and tomato sandwiches. I also sprinkle some on squash and okra when I'm frying it because I like the crispness it gives.

By Martha

This is a foolproof way to cook a lot of bacon without splattering it all over cooking surfaces.

Take a piece of bacon (not frozen) and dip it into flour, coating both sides, then fry as usual. Flour gives it more body and makes a beautiful crust.

An added bonus is that the grease doesn't pop when frying, and shrinkage is less.