Getting Information About a Sculpture

Does anyone know what this is? For 46 years my family has called it the Cherry Boy. The markings on the back say, Copyright 1906 By Boston Plasticart Co. Boston, Mass.

By Kelly from Ottumwa, IA

Check this link:

http://74.125.47.132/search?q=cache ... cd=3&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

It'll take some scrolling to find the company name, but there's another piece from Boston Plastic Art Co. in the same time frame that an auctioneer sold for $28.75.

Though your Cherry Boy has some age to him, that company mass-produced a lot of plaster household statuary ( and doorstops, both plaster and iron) in the early 1900's.

I sell a lot of vintage and retro things on eBay; if it were me, I would NOT take it to an antique store to sell it if that's what you'd like to do with it; they'd likely want to sell it between $35-$50 and would likely offer you somewhere in the neighborhood of maybe $15 for it in order to make a profit.

I think I'd run an eBay auction and put it up for bid at $24.99 and see what happens from there--that would be a fair price IMHO.

Since it has been in your family so long you probably want to keep it and pass it along. Plaster, or chalk figurines and wall hangings were popular in the past. I personally collect the wall baskets. Many of these figures were carnival prizes and some were sold in Woolworth and Kress stores. They were an inexpensive way to decorate and were usually brightly colored.

I have identical statue. been in family for 60+ years took to appraiser who could not identify. Seems very valuable to me. had it retouched by professional antique restorer in Rochester. I think the value should be over $500.00.

Consumer Advice Collectibles AntiquesJanuary 27, 2010
pattern books for making Cabbage Patch Kids and clothing
Finding a Cabbage Patch Doll Pattern
soft sculpture Cupid
Making a Soft Sculpture Cupid Doll
Credit Report
Providing Information to a Credit Bureau
soft sculpture Cupid doll
Making Soft Sculpture Dolls
🎉
🎄