Free Samples To Benefit Others

When I was a teenager, my parents and I took a trip to New Orleans, LA. While out shopping, sightseeing, etc. one day, we went past a homeless man sleeping on a bench, a shopping cart with his possessions nearby. That image made a huge impact on me, and though I live on a tight budget myself now as an adult, I'm very blessed! So I'm always looking for ways to contribute to the homeless or less fortunate in my area.

I was requesting free samples one day when it hit me that I could use this to benefit not only myself, but others. Even though my son is a preschooler, I saw free sample offers for diapers, wipes, men's deodorant, etc. on the site I was requesting samples from. I figured that I might as well go ahead and request those too.

Now I've started a "stockpile" of freebies to give to my local daytime homeless shelter, as well as a home that takes in women and children leaving domestic abuse situations. It only takes a few extra minutes to request those samples that I wouldn't use myself, but I figure that they'll be put to very good use after I donate them.

I'd encourage others to do the same. If you like to request freebies, get those you might not normally use, and donate them to the shelters and such in your own area. I think this quote sums it up nicely:

"Sometimes when we are generous in small, barely detectable ways, it can change someone else's life forever." - Margaret Cho

By Lisa from Kenosha, WI

Good idea. So often just a small bar of soap or a shampoo sample can mean so much to someone forced to leave their home for whatever reason.

I get free samples, all that are offered, from the walmart site. Click on the far right tab, "in stores now" and you will see 'free samples' listed. I also go to samsclub.com and get samples. Some require a member number but most do not.

I am working on a stock pile of samples to donate to the woman's shelter in our area. We also have a homeless shelter, so all the men's products I will donate there.

I keep all the food items, because I do not know how long it will be before I collect enough items to make a trip to the shelters, but I request all things offered, no matter how many times I have to fill out the forms.

I'm glad you mentioned this, it is such a wonderful thing to share with people and get more people active.

Take care.

Simply amazing! I've never thought about this but I often request samples knowing I probably wont use this or that? I don't know why. haha... I think I'm just a freebie addict! Now I am going to start a box of my own to donate! Thanks for the suggestion!

Hi Lisa-

I'm in WI too! (Rosendale). Your idea is a very good one. The same would work for animal shelters.

My cousin travels quite a bit for his job. He always saves the unused toiletries (those small soaps, shampoos, mouthwashes, etc.that hotels put in the bathrooms for their guests) to donate to an area battered women's shelter.

cereal.com

walmart.com

both have lots of samples

Better Living Charity TipsJanuary 21, 2008
Crafts Using Fabric SamplesFabric Sample Quilt
Crafts Using Fabric Samples
Sample Sized Beauty Items
Using Beauty Samples
Young woman using computer
Finding Free WiFi Connections
Perfume Sample Bottles
Using Perfume Samples
🎄