Uses for Faux Fur Coats

My mother passed away last year and left me 7 faux fur coats and jackets. They are very nice and are from Fabulous Furs and all different types of furs. Most are new with the tags and a couple were $500.00. I tried selling them for about $100.00 on Ebay and Craigslist. I hate to throw them out, but they are taking a whole closet full of space. Any ideas of what else I could use them for? They are all plus sizes.

Kathie from South Portland, ME

These would make lovely stuffed animals..My friend's Dad passed a few years ago, and she made stuffed bears from his old suits and gave one to each family member and close friends. If you don't sew yourself, perhaps you know someone who does..mabe have them make a few stuffed bears for you and give the rest of the fur for her use..perhaps a lap throw would be nice, using cut squares from the fur..patchwork style.

Maggie O in Bloomington, MN

What size are the fur coats? I may be interested in purchasing one from you. Would like to see some pics first and get the size.

Take the coats to a good second hand clothing store and ask the proprietor to sell them on consignment for you. Once they are sold the store owner would take their percentage for selling them, and you would keep the remainder.

WOW! I wish I lived closer to you. I would be happy to pay shipping for a plus size coat. I live in South Texas and we don t have much need for heavy coats here.

They might help the homeless survive the winter?

If you have a Community Playhouse that produces plays they might like to have them for plays.

Have you tried running an ad in the newspaper?

Why not donate to charity. You can claim them on you r taxes at the end of the year. If they have 500.00 tags you could rack up at tax season!

Are there grandchildren to pass them along to? Or other siblings? Have a quilt made or two. I do like the teddy bear hint below also. Check with a senior center,maybe someone there can help you.GG,Vi

A local animal shelter could use them as blankets/surrogate moms for baby animals, injured animals, sick animals, etc. They should be able to give you a receipt of your donation so you could claim it on your taxes while doing something great for an animal in need.

If you donate them to charity for the tax writeoff, be sure to photograph the coats with close-up shots of the tags and their labels. This will help you survive audit.

Muffs are coming back in style - make some from the sleeves.

Pillows would be nice.

Hat with matching mittens.

Cute leg warmers (again, use the sleeves), especially over short boots.

Purses.

Cut them all up, mix and match, and make a giant couch throw or bedspread with matching shams.

Fur trim on sweaters.

Take the sleeves off and refashion into a cape.(You might have to take the collar off also to make it look right.)

Head turning grocery totes!

Lap throws, especially nice in the car.

I saw two bears made with the fur (real) from a coat owned by an elderly lady. I will never forget how wonderful they were.

I had an old fox jacket and when it was time to get rid of it I just couldn't part with it, mostly because of how much I paid for it. My neighbor at the time showed me a teddy bear she had made from her mothers fur coats. It was so cute. So I called the lady and she made a teddy bear out of the coat and decorated it with one of my fathers old ties and I gave it to my mom for her birthday. She still has it 12 years later and it is still beautiful.

Just a thought ... if you itemize your taxes, or just want to do something truly wonderful with the coats, consider donating them to your local Dress for Success, domestic violence service center, Goodwill, or other charity. Take pictures of them, with the price tags visible, and get receipts for your donation if you want to use the tax deduction. It seems a shame to cut up really nice faux fur coats in new condition, when so many people desperately need winter coats! Also, clients at (for example) the domestic violence center are likely to have lost many of their belongings, and sometimes come to expect only second-rate items in their lives. For someone who is cold and in this position, receiving a nice coat--not a worn-out one, but really nice--could make a lot more difference than you'd ever imagine.

And with the receipts and photographs, you have all you need to take a hefty tax deduction if you're in a position for that to help you.

Just a thought.

You know that " faux " means fake. If they are not real fur , they may not be be worth much.

Also, if you advertised your coats as faux on ebay ,people may no want to spend a lot of money for them .

I they are real fur, it would be advisable to list which kind of fur---mink , fox (it should be on a tag somewhere inside the coats.)

I looked at the prices on Fabulous Furs and there were only two coats that were over $200.00 and none anywhere close to $500. I think that $100 is too expensive for such a thing. You might have better luck at a local consignment store, where people can actually handle the coats and feel the quality.

Good luck,

Jess

You can use these items in auctions to raise money for a charity. These can be great gifts if you can sew even if not you can start a campaign to start a great charity and have some gifted ladies or men to help sew and make special gifts like leg warmers, gloves, pillows, cuffs and ear muffs, with a little satiny or silky material to make a lining.

This will work really well where only part of the coat and etc. is in good condition. Most Dry Cleaners will be happy to clean these for a non profit group be prepared to show proof of your charity and tax exempt status. I just love to see them be used for a cause.

I have been searching endlessly for plus size faux furs! I would buy them from you! If not all of them one or two I am sure! Please let me know if you still have them! davidnsuzie AT aol.com

Thanks so much. Suzie H.

I have been searching everywhere for used plus size faux fur coats! If you still have them I would definitely be interested. I might not be able to buy them all but at least one or two! If the price is right I would take them all! Please let me know ASAP. That is how I found your post was looking for a coat! Thanks Suzie H davidnsuzie AT aol.com

Crafts Recycled CraftsJanuary 23, 2008
Faux Fur
Fixing Matted Faux Fur
White fake cake of boxes and bows
Faux Wedding Cake Ideas
Fur Coat
Repairing Fur Coats
Sheepskin
Recognizing Real Sheepskin vs Faux Sheepskin
🎉
🎄