OdorsCleaning

Urine Smell After Cleaning

I have a musty, urine smell in what I thought was a clean house. How do I clean the toilets and floors to eliminate this smell? I have been a wife and housekeeper for "only" 59 years. Thanks.

By shimasani from East Coast

I don't know where that urine smell is coming from, but I suspect it's coming from your bathroom tiles, specifically from the grout which is porous. Like me, I assume you have a man in the house and/or male children. It seems to me they have a problem with 'aiming'. My husband does!

On thriftyfun.com I saw a similar issue and the person responded by saying that Suave Juicy Green Apple bath gel is the trick to getting rid of the smell. I think the urine gets into the grout and perhaps even on the tile, and into the surrounding sealant of the toilet. In my case, I even have to was the surrounding walls surrounding the toilet.

I just hate it when I clean my whole house and yet I have this horrible smell after all my work. I've tried bleach products, bath, tube and tile products, CLR, diluted bleach solution, but with no luck.

Maybe you will have good luck with this. If it works, I recommend that you re-seal the grout in your bathroom. I know that grout has to be re-sealed every few years. You can buy grout sealant at places like Home Depot and Lowes, but probably at a tile store too or even maybe Walmart, Target, etc.

Also, I don't know if you have this problem, but sometimes after I vacuum, it makes my house smell worse! Like all the smells from the vacuum bag get released again into the air. I buy these little beads that go into the vacuum bag. I scatter them on the carpet then vacuum them up into the bag. When I run my vacuum I don't have that bad smell in the air anymore.

Unfortunately, I don't have the exact name of the product. There used to be a specific name to it like 'vacuum cleaning smells be gone', but now I use these little scented balls that I find in the section of the store where they sell candles, oils, refresher oils. I've sometimes found them in the part of the store where you can buy vacuums. Again, I'd try the stores I mentioned above. Good luck!

Once we bought a house that had a bad urine smell in it. I think it might have been from cats. We pulled out the walls and carpets but the odor was coming from the actual floor boards. We went to a Janitorial service and they sold us a bottle of something with orange oil in it. We mopped a couple of times and the odor was gone. I wish I could remember the name of the product but a janitorial service should know. She said they use it all the time for odor. There should be one listed in your phone book. Worth a shot.

There is a product called ODO-BAN that gets rid of urine odor. There are a couple varieties, but a good one can be found in the pet department at Wal-mart. It is great stuff!

Check that your shower isn't leaking by checking the room behind shower. When wood becomes constantly damp from shower water, and starts to rot it can smell like urine.