Making Couch Cushions Firmer

My sofa cushions are too soft. What can I do other than putting wood underneath the cushions to make it firmer?

By JB from Cincinnati, Ohio

You need to replace the foam. It's worn out and no longer provides the support as new.

Thank you, I will try that.

I bought twin size egg crating foam (for beds) and cut it to fit under the cushions. It made two layers and worked great. It didn't cost very much (bought it on sale).

I had the same problem. I bought throw pillows at goodwill or thrift stores and put in couch and love seat cushions and worked great.

Foam comes in various densities. A firm foam will cost more which is why more and more furniture is coming in with the cheaper softer foam, which then becomes mush later.

Some cushions are a sandwich style one layer is longer and is folded over the center layer. If this is what you have you may be able to just replace the center piece with a very firm piece (cheaper than replacing the whole thing)

See if you have a boat repair shop and ask where they are getting the foam when they redo seats. Or a furniture upholstery shop. Using the mattress from sleeper sofas is too soft.

Hopefully you have zips and can pull the old foam trace it for size. Cut foam with electric knife if possible. Otherwise put a 2x4 on it and have the kids stand on it and cut with razor. Wipe yourself with dryer sheets so foam pieces don't stick to you. Ria

Upholstered couch with soft cushions.
Making Couch Cushions Firmer
Home and Garden Repair Furniture SofasMarch 12, 2010
Repairing Lumpy Couch Cushions
Repairing Lumpy Couch Cushions
Photo of a furniture spring isolated on white.
Repairing Couch Springs
Couch Cushions Being Cleaning
Cleaning Cushions
Couch With Cushions
Keeping Couch Cushions From Sliding