Choosing Plants for "Curb Appeal"

What plants are the best for curb appeal in front of my house? My house is a grayish blue color.

Hardiness Zone: 1

By Trudy from PA

Best Answer

I would choose bushes and flowers that are red in color. Maybe even coleus or geraniums. There are many bushes with leaves that have a reddish tint.

And I would paint your front door a bright red or burgundy to match the foliage. My mother did this in her grayish-blue house and the bright burgundy door looked fantastic, even though there was no other red or red-trim on the house.

Best Answer

You need some contrasting colors, such as white, pink or yellow. But, don't just buy bushes, plan out the whole front on graph paper so you are looking at the whole front yard. Try some flowering shrubs with fragrance (lilac, some viburnum, roses) near the front door so guests get the fragrance. Also think about height to balance with the weight of your house. Use curved flower beds to look more natural.

Yellow, orange & pink will go good with your house, also something with blue in it, good luck.

Red, pink or orange would go. Remember to use larger pots near the front so you are adjusting to the scale of the house.

I had a white house with country blue shutters & door, and I used a lot of pink, burgundy and of course some white mixed in as needed. If you want to achieve a less formal, more 'cottage garden' effect, then just about any mix of colors will look good, and some won't be blooming at the same time anyway, if you're using perennials! Don't always put ALL your trust in the labels on perennials and shrubs, though, as far as their blooming time or color-changing time.

They can end up overlapping if say, day lilies bloom in late spring and Black-eyed Susans bloom in summer (zone 5A), but they can end up overlapping and the 2 colors of yellow/gold may or may not look good together! If you have some colors or types of plants you're not too sure about, you can try them in the back yard first, so you won't be sharing any mistakes with the whole world...er...neighborhood. ;) Good Luck!

I would like to be able to use plants that don't attract the bees too much. I have read that bees can't see the color red and red attracts the hummingbirds; interesting. I know bees don't like marigolds, neither do rabbits.

house with nice plants
Choosing Plants for "Curb Appeal"
Home and Garden Gardening AdviceApril 8, 2010
A house for sale with nice landscaping.
Landscaping to Sell Your Home
Colorful Bridal Bouquets
Choosing Wedding Colors
Small House with Curb Appeal
Inexpensive Curb Appeal Ideas
Choosing Garden Plants
Choosing Garden Plants
🎄