Crockpot Recipes for Soldier Overseas

Our family has "adopted" a soldier overseas in Iraq. I read about sending a crock pot and the ingredients to make homemade food a few years ago but I can't remember where I saw this and Google is not finding it. My challenge is to find great recipes using only canned and other shelf-stable foods that I can ship. Any recipe ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

By CJ from Spokane, WA

I think your best bet is to ask your adopted soldier what would or wouldn't be appropriate and how to send it. He/she will be able to give you the details of how and what to do.

I have a couple of family members overseas in Iraq, one on his fourth tour of duty, and it wouldn't be realistic in his situation to send a crockpot or a lot of canned foods :-(

I applaud your effort but I think it's best to ask the soldier what he/she needs and what would be most useful for them.

I hope this helps!

Certainly we would ask before sending this. I just like to have the knowledge in advance to evaluate the feasibility of the idea. Thank you.

When our son was in Iraq, he requested things like :

tuna in the individual foil packets

dried soup mix

chicken in a foil pouch

individual :on the go: tea,lemonade , Hawaain Punch, crystal light

they add these to their bottled water.

powdered coffee creamer

Coffee instant or ground

I also sent him a an old-fashioned perculator that could be used out in the field. They appreciated this.

Zip lock bags are especially appreciated.

sand gets into everything!

Our son was out in the field for over 30 days at a time. So they didn't have creature comforts. Items that we sent had to be "packable" in his gear, backpack, whatever he was carrying. So the individual items were the best to send to him and his men. The lighter the better to pack and to carry.

He would never have been able to use a crock pot in his situation. If you have not sent baby wipes, please do. These take the place of a shower when they are out in the field.

Your adopted soldier will be glad to tell you what he can use or not use in his particular situation. Just ask him could you send him a.............., and let his answer guide you. Paperbacked books are greatly appreciated too, and nylon hose for keeping sand out of their weapons.

Food and Recipes Recipes CrockpotFebruary 25, 2010
Clipping Coupons for Troops
Coupons for Troops
Clay Pot Holiday Soldier
Making a Clay Pot Holiday Soldier
Healthy Crockpot Recipes
Healthy Crockpot Recipes
cardboard shipping box
Lightweight Gift Ideas for Sending Overseas
🎉
🎄