Removing Body Odor from Football Shoulder Pads

My son's football shoulder pads smell very strongly of body odor. These have been passed down to him so it isn't even his own odor he has to put up with. How do you remove this odor without being able to throw it in the wash. His jerseys, etc. I have soaked in white vinegar and that worked great, but this is a real problem. Thanks in advance.

By Sheila from OR

I've never seen football pads (besides on TV) can they be submerged in a tub or bucket? I don't know if submerging them will somehow damage them. If the pads can be submerged, I think you could heavily spray or soak with a cleaner, and then soak in water. You might have to do it several times.

You could try vinegar like for his jerseys, but I was thinking something more along the lines of an enzymatic cleaner. I had a shirt that was in storage for quite a while. I laundered it before wearing it again, but noticed it was smelly in the armpit area when I took it out of the dryer (which is odd, that doesn't normally happen with my clothes). I sprayed it down with the enzymatic cleaner I use on pet accidents, and let it sit (I really saturated the underarm areas!). The next day I washed and dried it, and the smell was gone! I bought my enzymatic cleaner at Petsmart, but I've heard that it can easily be found at stores like Wal-Mart and Target, too. Or you could try an Oxy-clean type product.

I don't know if any of this will be of any help, since I've never dealt with football pads. But I hope you find something that works -- best of luck!

Try cleaning the shoulder pads with rubbing alcohol. No need to submerge, just soak a rag with alcohol and rub down the pads. Repeat if necessary. The alcohol evaporates quickly so there's no worry about saturation.

Boraxo added to the wash water will disinfect & deodorize the toughest stuff-and get it cleaner! I add it to my washer when my hubby & 2 teenage boys come back from camping with their Boy Scout troop & everything smells like sweaty boy & campfire smoke! These boys go to a week of camp in the middle of a sweltering summer & never take a shower until the night before they come home & they throw all their dirty clothes in a black trash bag to bring home. Talk about stinky clothes! The Boraxo gets the odor out every time.

Since you said you can't submerge the shoulder pads, perhaps you could try saturating a rag with white vinegar, borax, or the enzymatic cleaner someone else suggested. Thoroughly wipe down the shoulder pads and let dry. Repeat if necessary.

In-season:

After each game and practice, remove from bag allow to dry in a cool place. Storing damp encourages the growth of dangerous bacteria.

- Wipe them down with various solutions (vinegar/ baking soda/ witch hazel/ etc) then wipe off with a dry cloth and allow to air dry.

- Wipe them down with cleaning wipes (scrubbing side first then the wiping side) e.g. Lysol?

Locker Shield for clothing & personal items: Use in the washer (contact company for info)

End of season: Football equipment must be professionally cleaned.

Home and Garden Cleaning OdorsAugust 31, 2010
Photo of a yellow rubber glove.
Making Your Own Clorox Ready Mop Pads
Uses for Shoulder Pads
Uses for Shoulder Pads
sports ball ornaments
College Football Themed Christmas Tree
Pork Shoulder
Recipes Using Pork Shoulder
🎉
🎄