Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Rag Rug Made with Pantyhose

Do you have directions for making a rag rug out of pantyhose?

Carmela

By susan [5]03/15/2008

Cut the pantyhose across so you have rings. Make them uniform, but any width you want. The wider the width, the larger the stitches would be and the thicker the rug would be, but you'll need more pantyhose. I wouldn't make them less than 2 inches since nylon compresses a lot. Loop the rings together so you have a long strand of nylon "yarn." Looping will eliminate the need for knots. Roll into a ball and when you have a large ball, start crocheting into any shape you'd like. You can add as you go and crochet as you get more. A rug would take a lot of pantyhose, but being nylon, it would wear like iron. This is one of those projects that might take years to finish since it'd take so many pantyhose, but would be really nice when through. Are people saving them for you? Might have to ask friends and family, and their friends and family to pitch in their old ones too! Good luck.

PS: I've found that half double crochet works really well with knit fabrics when making rag rugs.

By LITTLE SUZY [93]03/13/2008

It would take alot of panty hose to do since a regular one made from fabric takes about 13 yards of fabric cut into 1 1/2 strips to make into a nice size rug. I figured it out once. One double crochet equals 16 inches. The first row you need 120", second row 384", third row 560", fourth row 752", fifth row 928", sixth row 1104", 7th row 1296", 8th row 1472", 9th row 1664" and 10th row 1840". That's a total of 10,120" for a 10 row rug. So you see, you'd better have lots of panty hose. I'd say just tie the ends together having a small knot or sew them together end to end and crochet in a round same as making a regular rug. Go girl!!!