Reuse Cat Litter Containers

My friend hated throwing away the cat litter tubs their cat was going through, so I started using them. Last night inspiration struck, and after a thorough cleaning with vinegar, Dawn, and baking soda, I had a perfectly good, stay-fresh container for my dogs' and cat's food and treats!

I also have a couple tucked away under end tables and in kitchen cabinets to use as emergency trash cans, mop buckets, and cleaning supply storage. I spray-painted two to use in my computer room and hall bath; they hold more than you think, are stackable, and so far have been a great help to me in organizing a lot of small articles, such as tools, odds and ends, and dog toys!

By Jarron from Ocala, FL

I absolutely positively love your assorted ideas except for use for storing pet food. Please don't store any food items, including pet food, in any container that is not a food grade container. Those containers are not made of the same materials and chemical compounds as food grade containers are made of and leach harmful chemicals into both food and water. Even only recycle #2, #4 and #5 of food grade containers are safe for food or water reuse.

I am giving you a thumbs up for all of your other wonderful ideas though. :-)

I agree they make great storage containers. I haven't done so, but they would make great little "stools" if you added foam or batting to the lid and covered it with fabric. I don't know how I'd secure the fabric to the lid: glue? I have 5 I saved when I used this type of litter, but changed to Feline Pine because it's healthier for cats.

Great ideas! I use mine as a temporary compost holder. I drilled drainage holes in it and set it outside my back door. I dump my counter-top composter into that and then once that fills up, I transfer it out to the compost heap. I also have one underneath my kitchen sink for recyclables. I also lined one with a plastic bag and use for my dog's treats...maybe I should rethink that after reading Deeli's comment!

Any ideas for disguising the surface, for 3 gallon KNOCK OUT rose bush container.

The Tidy Litter Buckets I have are #5 so are they safe for food and water storage

Reusing Cat Litter Buckets
Reusing Cat Litter Buckets
Photos OtherMay 4, 2011
A cat door installed in an old door.
Teaching a Cat to Use a Cat Door
Cat in Litter Box
Cat Not Using the Litter Box
Cat exiting a litter box.
Cat Litter Mat Reviews
Cat Litter
Alternative Uses for Cat Litter
🎉
🎄