Salad Dressing Stain on Cotton Clothing

How do I get oily salad dressing off cotton pants?

Gail

Hi Gail! Squeeze Dawn dish soap straight from the bottle, rub it in and launder as usual. Once in a while, you'll need to repeat the process but, trust me, it works.

Before putting on soap, pour talcum powder on the stain to completely cover it and let it sit for 24 hours. If needed, then use the soap.

I would use GoJo....a waterless hand cleaner, found in any automotive store or department. Put a glob onto stain, and let sit overnight. It will come out in the wash! It works on any grease stain, including crayons.

I use Dawn dish soap for almost all food stains. It works better than many commercial stain removers.

Does it work once the article of clothing has been dried in the dryer?

I agree with all who recommended Dawn. I have noticed something though, which may make it even more effective. I have the foaming Dawn which I use sometimes in place of the regular liquid Dawn, and I was almost out of it.

Since I already had a replacement bottle I took what was left of the foaming Dawn and just left it in my laundry area, so I would always have some ready. Seems to me that it works a little better than the regular liquid version. I will experiment after I have used it all, to see if diluting the liquid version in the foaming bottle will work as well (I already know you can dilute liquid hand soap 2:1 to refill a foaming hand soap dispenser and it works fine), or if the reason it works so well is the formula used in the foaming Dawn.

I even used it on an old grease stain on something from the thrift store which had been dried in a dryer before, and it took the stain out quick! As for Talc, when I was a cosmetologist some of the styles and hair types required hair oils which would leave a permanent yellow stain; Talc works well, but corn starch works even better. I kept a little plastic container of corn starch at my station with a powder puff in it; I would blot as much oil as possible with a paper towel then rub in some corn starch.

Every 10-15 minutes I would do it again until no more oil bled through the corn starch. Add the Dawn when you launder the item, and if the oil doesn't come out it wasn't meant to! Good luck!

Home and Garden Cleaning Clothing StainsNovember 10, 2008
Potato Salad Dressing
Potato Salad Dressing Recipes
A bottle of homemade salad dressing.
Making Italian Salad Dressing Mix
Removing Permanent Marker from Hair
Flair Pen on Cotton Clothing
🎄
🍂