Food Grease on Work Shirts

By Jackolyn Smith 17 134

I need help in getting my work shirts clean! I work in a snack bar and all of my shirts have fryer grease on them. I've tried soaking them in Pine Sol, spraying them with 'Greased Lightning', Shampoo, 'Grease Relief', Dawn dish soap, etc. I've even tried ammonia, but nothing seems to take the grease out of them. They are red in color, and 50% polyester/50% cotton. They are repulsive to look at, but I have to wear them every night. Can someone help me out here?

Thanks,
Jackie S. from Riverdale, GA

Showing: Answers Sort

By Maureen 1 18 Flag

Try using Lestoil next time you wash them. Pretreat them with Lestoil directly on the stains and let it stand for an hour or so and then wash them with Lestoil in the washer. They should come out looking great!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

I find that any grease or oil stains, even older ones, come out by using ANY dish washing liquid, neat of course, a little scrubbing by hand and then into the washing machine as a normal wash.......if the stain doesn't all come out the first time, keep trying.....it will eventually .....tried and tested, over and over again with great success.....Good luck .......cheers, Kay from OZ

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Terri 7 84 Flag

My son works for Long Johns Silvers and I had a terrible time trying to get his clothes de-greased. Someone at work suggested a motor degreaser and equipment cleaner that we get in a spray can. We get it from a janitor supply company. It's really great but it will take your breath away and should be used in a place with fresh air readily available. Check with janitor supply companies in your area for a motor degreaser. Good luck.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Cathy 2 Flag

Try the stuff that auto mechanics use to clean their hands. I can't remember the name of the stuff but you can purchase it at most dept. stores or hardware stores. The clerk will probably be able to point you to it. It's sometimes referred to as a waterless hand cleaner...it's about the texture of vaseline and you just rub it onto the spot and let it sit for awhile and then just wash your garment as usual. If the spots are still there just repeat the process. Make sure you don't get the one that has the 'grit' in it. Good luck!!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Rebekah 1 117 Flag

I think nantohannah is talking about GOJO .. it's a heavy duty hand cleaner that's meant to cut through heavy grease and grime ... I would try Head and Shoulders too! (try looking for a travel or sample size to test it out first). My sister works in fast food and swears by it!

Good luck to you!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

Any degreaser will work, but you must use HOT water to break up the grease in the washer.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Jackolyn Smith 17 134 Flag

Thanks for all of the feedback! I've tried Dawn dish soap, but it didn't work. I'll try Lestoil, Gojo, and the motor degreaser next. I'll let you know how I make out. Thanks again for all the great tips.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

We use GOOP here, it's about 99 cents at our Walmart in the auto section. Just work it into the area, front and back, then wash. Good luck.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By kimberly 1 34 Flag

theres some stuff at the dollar store called Mean green concentrated cleaner. my bil swears by it.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

Did you put them in the dryer after washing them the first time? If so, you may have set the stains in permanently. Air dry them first to see if any stains were removed. My husband got hot dog grease, etc. on his brand new khaki pants. I forgot about the stain and put them in the dryer. The pants were ruined. I then tried GOOP (the mechanic hand degreaser) on them. The material has to be dry when applying GOOP and let it stand for a few minutes. The stains came completely out. Hopes this helps.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By karen zetzer 18 42 Flag

Thanks for all the great ideas! I also wear red shirts at a pizza house and they get so stained and smell. Hopefully some of these tips will help me out!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Mary 6 Flag

I have found that Spray and Wash Stain Stick works for me as soon as you take the shirt off put the stain stick on it and let it sit til wash day it takes all the grease from mine hope it works for you

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

Ask your employer to provide aprons to wear while working around grease to prevent stains on your shirts in the future.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

Oil Eaters from any auto part store. I swear by it. When moving into my new house, the moving truck had grease, car oil, etc and when the movers stepped up to grab furniture they got it all over their shoes and walked in the house on my beige carpet. I put some "Oil Eater" in a rug doctor, my carpet looks brand new. Can be put in the washing machine. I highly recommend it for any oil type removal.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

As a last resort, have it dry cleaned, the chemicals can usually get it out, for example, tough stains from pizza oil/grease.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By M Glover 1 Flag

My son works in a fast food restaurant and gets grease stains on his shirts and pants every day. I put paint brush cleaner in an "eye dropper bottle" which allows you to drop small amounts in a concentrated area. It always works for me. OK, yes, it smells, but you only have to put a handful of baking soda in the rinse and it takes that away. Many a time he was ready to throw the garments out, but I managed to "save" them.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

Home and Garden Cleaning Clothing StainsFebruary 3, 2006
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Steam cleaning Upholstery
Removing Grease Stain on Upholstery
grease stain on carpet
Cleaning Grease Stains on Carpet
cleaning grease off kitchen cabinets
Removing Grease from Kitchen Cabinets
cleaning grease off wallpaper
Cleaning Grease Off Wallpaper
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 9, 2016 at 9:15:09 AM on 10.0.2.70 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings