Moving To Wichita, KS

My husband is considering a job transfer Wichita, KS and I was wondering if anyone from that area can give me some information on cost of living, weather conditions, etc. Anything at all would be appreciated. Thanks.

Joan from FL

Best Answer

Find a local Realtor, she will send you a package of information for the area with lots of housing to pick from included. You can price house yourself at www.realtor.com to get an idea of areas you can afford and like to househunt in. A huge timesaver.Go to google, type in Witchita, KS, then go to the chamber of commerce, they will send you info on the area. Jill

Best Answer

Hi Joan,

I'm from Wichita - my sister and her family still live there. The weather is very midwest: hot summers with humidity and colder winters with wind chill but beautiful springs and autumns.

Wichita sits where two rivers meet and so is very green. Like any other larger city, it is sprawling and the small towns are being gobbled up by urban sprawl. The city is trying to revitalize the downtown area and the older homes (mostly victorian or craftman style) nearby have lots of charm and sit close to the big park where the rivers meet.

Every May Wichita has a weeklong festival call Riverfest that is lots of fun for families.

Economically, Wichita has a higher than average unemployment rate and so good jobs may be hard to find. I would be sure the company he's looking at is stable and will be in for the long-haul.

Schools are very good and the Wichita school system has magnet schools for kids with special interests and/or talents. My niece is in one and it's the equivilant of a private education. Wichita is very much a heartland type of city - the general policital atmosphere is conservative and Republicans rule the roost in the whole state.

Kansas City is a four hour drive and the Ozarks are within in five hours. Oklahoma City is two hours away and Denver is seven/eight.

Hope this helps, good luck with your decision.

Cindy

Best Answer

I really like it here - I am originally from the east coast. Its a great place to raise kids, work, and live. There is housing of all types and costs and unlike a lot of other areas you don't need to be "a millionaire" to own your own home. I have lived in two of the biggest cities prior to Wichita and was ready for a slower paced and more user friendly city. If you get really bored here it is easy to get away. The day to day quality of life is great - is all what you are looking for.

Hi--I'm from Wichita, my parents and siblings still live there, and I think you'll find the cost of living will be lower than in Florida. Wichita has a pretty normal midwest climate, known for fierce storms summer and winter, but usually the weather is not too bad. Be prepared for wind. I love Wichita, it's a great mid-sized city--you can get anywhere in town in 20 minutes still.

get in touch with the local chamber of commerce -- they have info packets they will send you with this info

Thanks for all your suggestions. I really appreciate the help. ~Joan

Close out of map with red push pin on Wichita, Kansas.  The word Wichita is highlighted.
Moving To Wichita, Kansas
Travel and Recreation Travel Guides US StatesNovember 28, 2006
Older Cat
Moving an Older Cat
Alabama Sign
Moving to Alabama
Duck eggs in a nest.
Moving Duck Eggs
Woman Putting Cat in Cat Carrier in Car
Moving With Pets
🎉
🎄