Low Sugar Peanut Butter Fudge Recipe

I would like a peanut butter fudge recipe that doesn't require a lot of sugar. I have the Skippy one.

By Dottie from Decatur, IL

I found this online: Peanut Butter Fudge

This is an easy easy recipe, and it is delicious. The only caveat is that it is much better if you use powdered erythritol as part of the sweetener. I have tried it with only Splenda and it just isn't as good. Xylitol might also work well. I describe how I do the sweeteners below. This fudge is intense so you might want to cut it into even smaller squares, as a little really satisfies.

8 oz. unsweetened chocolate squares (see update note)

1 cup smooth peanut butter (no sugar added)

3/4 - 1 cup erythritol

1 cup worth other sugar substitute (or to taste)

1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Pinch salt

I originally made this recipe with Hershey's baking chocolate because I figured most people could get it. I've now found that when I make it with a higher-quality chocolate such as Ghirardelli, it comes out very hard, and works better to use less chocolate (like 6 or 7 oz.) or more of the other ingredients.

A word on the sweetener. I have tried different combinations of sweeteners, including Splenda packets, Sweetzfree liquid Splenda, and powdered erythritol. I had the best results using the powdered erythritol and Sweetzfree, which is a very concentrated liquid. I have found that with chocolate, using artificial sweeteners with no sugar alcohols produces only an "OK" result. Adding a low glycemic sugar alcohol (not maltitol) improves the flavor and texture when working with unsweetened chocolate.

1) Melt the chocolate. I like to pour boiling water over it, let it sit for 5 to 6 minutes, and then pour the water off. That way I know I won't burn the chocolate.

2) Mix in the rest of the ingredients, adjusting sweetener to taste.

3) Pack or spread into a loaf pan. Cool to room temperature, or you can put it in the refrigerator. Cut into 18 pieces and serve. good luck.

Food and Recipes Recipes Baking & Desserts Candies FudgeNovember 26, 2009
Jar of peanut butter surrounded by peanuts.
Homemade Peanut Butter Recipes
Ground Cinnamon
Sugar Free Cinnamon and Sugar Recipes
Sugarfree Peanut Butter
Buying Sugar Free Peanut Butter
Storing Sugar
Storing Sugar