Buying Sugar Free Peanut Butter

Many brands of peanut butter include ingredients other than just peanuts, such as sugar. This is a guide about buying sugar free peanut butter.

On February 6, 2012 there was a piece about peanut butter. There was an editor note that said "Real peanut butter should only contain peanuts and salt. Be sure to check the ingredients of any brand you buy." Can anyone tell me the name of peanut butter that does not have any sugar?

By Lynda

Answers

I know of two brands available in the Northeast: Teddy, and Smuckers, both called "natural peanut butter." Teddy sells peanut butter with and without sugar, so make sure it's their natural PB. Most commercial peanut butters not only have sugar added, but also hydrogenated oils, to keep them from separating.

Natural peanut butter separates; the oil rises to the top of the jar, and you have to stir it into the mass of peanut sludge. I do that once when I open the jar and then keep it in the fridge so it doesn't separate again. If you leave it out at room temperature, it will separate again, and stirring it up is a messy nuisance, although not quite as tough when the jar isn't full.

If you can't find these brands in your area, you can always buy a bag of shelled peanuts, whomp them around in the food processor until they turn into PB then add a tiny bit of salt to taste. Freshly-made peanut butter is really delicious. One more possibility: most health food stores will carry natural peanut butter, but that can be pretty pricey.

Fishercat

I buy Smucker's All Natural peanut butter. You can find it at any major grocery store. It has peanuts and peanut oil only. It is great tasting, and for a diabetic, as I am, it's a blessing.