12th Birthday Party Ideas for Girls

Category Birthday
13 year old gift ideas
Planning a successful birthday party for your young teen can be a challenge. This is a guide about 12th birthday party ideas for girls.

A great birthday party idea for preteen girls is a Mall Madness birthday party. A Mall Madness birthday party is basically a scavenger hunt in the mall. For example, you could all meet at your house. Once everyone arrives, you could head to the mall. At the mall, everyone would split into groups and get things (a picture with the cashier or ask the cashier for a rubber band, etc.) Once a group gets everything on the list, they get a prize (gift card, toys, cash, beauty products, etc.) After that, pizza is a great way to end the day before everyone either goes home or spends the night! Hope this helps. :)

My 12th birthday party is this Saturday. I choose to do real go kart racing with helmets and suits, as I am not really a girly girl. My friends got really excited when I said that we were doing real go kart racing.

If you are not having more of a tomboy party, you could go get French manicures. You could go back to the house and have a pizza and watch a movie before the other girls all go home. Then you're having more of get together than a party because, at 12 years of age, you won't have a party. Think of it more as a get together.

Birthday parties, especially if a lot of kids are invited, can become expensive affairs very easily. This is a guide about inexpensive 12th birthday party ideas.

12th Birthday Party

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

Pottery studios often have fun birthday party options for kids and adults. This is a guide about pottery party for tween birthday.

A girl painting a piece of pottery at a birthday event.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

I have a sister who is 12 years old and she can't decide what to do for her party. I was wondering if anyone has any ideas of where to go?

By M-J from WA

Answer Was this helpful? 10

Answers

Best Answer

I love the idea about the $5 at the dollar store and then having a fashion show. We are going to use that with our daughter and her friends. Another idea - Our daughter loves halloween but was a summer baby. Her friends love the scavenger hunts my husband and myself come up with each year so this year we are replacing the lightbulbs with blacklights and having the scavinger hunt in the "glow in the dark." Then we take them roller skating from 7:30pm to 11:00pm to wear them down a bit before the slumber party. Last year was a late swimming session and everyone was asleep by 10 pm.

Best Answer

We held a water balloon party for my 12 year old Granddaughter. It was a huge hit with girls and boys alike. She invited her entire class and all but one came (just mention water balloons a kid will be there ;-)). You can buy water balloons cheaply at Walmart or purchase them online. We spread a giant superslide across the lawn to place all the water balloons on, we also purchased two small blow-up kid pools to store the balloons in (tip: don't stack them more than three balloons high or they will burst by themselves from the pressure). We attempted to play organized games with the balloons, but since these kids were middle school age, they had much more fun left on their own to have a huge water balloon fight (the only rule we had was no hitting in the face). The only thing I had to purchase was the water balloons, cake, ice cream, and streamers (I already had the blowup pools and superslide; if you don't have those call around and borrow them from friends/family). The cost of this type party is very inexpensive BUT there is a lot of planning and work involved. It is better to have all the water balloon filled before the party begins. My boyfriend and I started filling the water balloons two days before the party. Once you have filled the first hundred balloons you start to get faster at filling them, we ended up with 2300 water balloons for the party and 15 kids popped every one of them within an hour.

One last thing, I recommend having a little game in the end. Whichever kid picks up the most popped balloons from the grass gets $10 (otherwise your yard will be filled with little balloon pieces and it's not good for the birds to eat).

Best Answer

Ever since my daughter was little, we have done themed parties. They honestly are not as hard as one might think, and you can tie all your food and games into the theme as well. Some of the themes we used were a luau, 70's party, beach party, camping party, and this year for my daughter's 12th birthday we are having a fiesta themed party. For the camping theme we set up tents in the back yard, had a fire pit to roast hot dogs and marshmallows, had a scavenger hunt, potato sack races, egg on a spoon relay race, and flash light tag when it got dark. Just an example of what we did, but there are definitely more things you could do with this theme. Also we listen to scary camp stories around the campfire. We found recorded stories online, and the girls loved it. Hope this gives you some ideas.

My daughter is going to be 12 soon and she wants to have some sort if party with a few friends. I don't have no clue at all. She said she doesn't want anything like bowling and she doesn't want anything too babyish. Can you please, please give me some ideas? Thank you.

By Chloe

Answer Was this helpful? 5

Answers

Best Answer

Go to the craft section at Walmart or to the craft store. There you can find great inexpensive craft ideas for her. T-shirts for $3-5 and tye-dye machine for $10 or friendship bracelet kits for $10-20 would make for a great time. There are plenty of foam stickers to decorate hats or notebooks and beaded jewelry parts galore. Good luck.

Best Answer

Have a make up party. Have the guests bring some old dress up clothes, what ever they want, put them in a pile on the bed. Then buy some cheap make up, eye shadow, liner, nail polish, etc. Do their hair. After they are all made up they can pick out some clothes to wear. You could have the girls bring old make up from home to have a larger assortment. I saw this some where. It sounds like something a 12 year old would like to try. Might be messy, but fun. Take a party picture to remember her birthday.

My daughter is having her 12th birthday party and she's having about 25 girls over, but she doesn't know what to do. She wants to go somewhere fun and cheap. I would love if you could give some ideas. We live in Portland, examples: JJ Jump, Oaks Park, or Sky High.

By Madison

Answer Was this helpful? 3

Answers

Best Answer

I live in Portland too and Oaks Park is always a favorite. But with 25 girls that can also be very expensive. But there are the rides and roller skating maybe you could get a group rate on tickets or something.

If the weather is good you could go to a park and do outdoor activities.

I don't know what your budget is.

Sorry I can't come up with anymore suggestions

Best Answer

I grew up going to Oaks Park and have wonderful memories from there. (I live in So.Cal. now)

With 25 girls this is probably not the answer but years ago, with my daughter, I took them to a beauty school (pre-arranged) for a beauty treatments. It seems now a days that is not a treat for a lot of girls, but it could be an idea for another time or a smaller group....they could all get manicures,or something like that. More recently my daughter-in-law had a "spa" party in her home with different "beauty stations", mani's, pedi's, hairdo's, facials, makeup. She just got some high school girls who acted as beauticians. They took pictures later and put them in frames they had decorated while waiting for some of the "services". All felt very glamorous after it was all done, and oh yes they all brought special outfits to pose in. Your biggest problem is the number of girls involved. Good luck!

My daughter is having a birthday party, but she doesn't want the girly-girl type because her friends that are boys are going to be there. And we need an inexpensive party place.

By Anonymous Queen

Answer Was this helpful? 3

Answers

Best Answer

We did an Indiana Jones theme party one year. My husband made up clues to find a "treasure" which he made by spraying some rocks with gold paint.

The clues were written in code (you could get ideas from Tolkien books or hieroglyphs online) He had the codes with English letters on a sheet so they could decode each clue. It cost really nothing other than food and paper and a can of paint. The kids LOVED it.

Another year we did a Chinese new year theme (my daughter's birthday is in January and we delayed the party a couple of weeks) They made paper lanterns, wrote some Chinese characters and food included Chinese eggrolls and fortune cookies.

Check out the book The Pennywhistle Party Book, its full of fun cheap party ideas.

Best Answer

I suggest a dance party. You could rent a local hall for 4 hours. You can bring a radio or an iPod with a dock. At Party Cit,y they sell a bubble machine for about $35 and strobe lights for $20! Also you can get props at the dollar store or Party City! Good luck and I hope my ideas helped.

My daughter is having her 12th birthday in a couple of weeks. We're struggling for party ideas with a cheap, but cheerful price. Any suggestions?

By coolbeanwalker from west Sussex, north Yorkshire

Answer Was this helpful? 3

Answers

Best Answer

A cooking class is always a good idea that is what I did for my daughters. Make pizza and cupcakes!

Best Answer

Have like a pizza party, that would be excellent and then after order some go carts cart and race with friends and maybe play water war, too.

We are having a 12 year old girl's bday party in April and we are trying to come up with something cheap but really creative and where lots of people can come. Any suggestions?

By Maggie

Answer Was this helpful? 2

Answers

Best Answer

Here Are 5 ideas For Your Party:

1. Have a Hollywood themed party with walkways, and put on a fashion show. Let the girls dress up as their fave pop stars.

2. Have a beauty party. Get the girls to do makeovers, and dress them up. Take pictures of every girl, then let them be on the front cover of a magazine.

3. Have a slumber party. Let the girls watch a movie, tell secrets, play games, and other stuff to make it a party they will never forget

4. Go to a fun place (For ex. go ice skating/ roller blading or to the arcade or to a spa) After that get the girls to come home and hang out.

5. Have a DIY (Do It Yourself) party. The girls can make headbands, shirts, anything and can still have fun. You can also play games.

When my daughter was 11 (I know a year younger. She's almost 12 though) we went mini-golfing, go carting, arcade, and laser tag. She loved it, and so did all of her friends. Good luck. Hope these 5 ideas helped!

My daughter is celebrating her 12th birthday in July. We are all not sure what we would want to do. On previous birthdays we had parties. Now we would want to do something different. Please help.

By Naa B. from Ghana

Answers

Best Answer

Just do cake and ice cream and a few gifts with your immediate family. I have never in my 72 years done anything special for any family member's birthdays. It was always an occasion for immediate family, mainly parent and siblings. Sometimes, depending on the day of the week aunts and uncles and grandparents would show up, but not too often.

Best Answer

I just heard the other day of a child that wanted no gifts other than have her guests bring something for the homeless shelter or some other organization that is dependent on donations. The local animal shelter always needs things as the shelter for battered women and the food bank. Just an idea. Then just have the cake and ice cream and play some games or go to the pool to cool off.

What can a 12 year old do for her birthday?

By B.D

Answers

Best Answer

I just had my 14th bday party and we played some really fun games for all ages. One of the games was the game where you put a shower cap on and cover it in shaving cream then your team throws cheese puffs at it! Another is where you hard boil eggs enough for everyone at the party except for one! Everyone has to crack there egg against their forehead and you see who gets the runny one!:) Also you write down one funny truth or dare for everyone at the party and stick it in a balloon and blow the balloon up. Then when it's your turn you pop your balloon and do your truth or dare.

Best Answer

go ice skating or have a cooking party

I currently live in Cleburne, Texas. My daughter is turning 12 in just 3 weeks, in October. She wants a birthday party with about 4-5 friends, but we have no clue what to do. She is girly, but sometimes can be a tomboy. We want something cheap and easy to plan, but really fun. She wants a slumber party, but my house is not that big. I need help now please!

My younger sister is having her 12th birthday party. She wants something not too babyish and she only wants a few friends over. She wants a really fun theme. Please help I want this to be a birthday she will never forget.

By Caitlin B.

Answer Was this helpful? 1

Answers

Best Answer

I was on a website and saw this idea: Black light Highlighter Party. Ask your party guests to bring an old white T-shirt. When they get there pass out different colored highlighters. Replace the lights in the rooms with Black light bulbs. Have them decorate there shirts with the highlighters to make a glow in the dark wardrobe!

I have an almost 12 year old daughter and she seems to want to do more expensive stuff. What should I do?

By Jeni

Answers

Best Answer

Depending on how far off it is, there may be time for her to dog walk/sit, babysit, spring is here, rake yards for half the cost of the party. Makes the kids figure out how much easier it is to spend parents money than make it.

I have had my kids beg off from doing the expense ONCE THEY HAVE EARNED IT. And they kept their neighborhood jobs up, one got his as a helper at the local theatre at 8 and now is 28, still doing those things for them, and changes the marquee so they don't climb up there. Means you never have to pay for going to the movies!

Best Answer

My kids have a budget for their birthday parties. They purchase the cake, snacks, favors, and pay for the activities. This really helps keep the parties reasonable, especially since they get to keep any money that's left over. I think this teaches an important lesson in budgeting (for example, they've learned that they can choose a more expensive activity if they invite fewer friends and have a homemade cake instead of a store bought one, and if they have the party at 2:00 they can save money by not buying pizzas, etc.).

When my daughter turned twelve she invited two friends to have manicures and pedicures done at the beauty school in town. This year for her 13th, she decided to skip the party entirely and put the money toward the phone we got her for her birthday.

My daughter is having her 12th birthday party! She doesn't know what to do. We want to do something very fun and creative! Any ideas?

By Katie from LA, CA

My daughter is 12 already (her birthday was in July), but we haven't had a party yet. She want's something with friends that is also safe for her 2 year old sister. She also wants to have a wet party, but our pool is way to small. We have a trampoline and swing, but a really small yard and we can't get the deck wet. Help me make it fun please.

By Lena L.

Answers

Best Answer

You can have a swapper. Go in groups of 3 or more and then you stay in your groups for 60 seconds. You can swap every 60 seconds so then everyone will have a turn so like 3 on the swings 3 on the trampoline and then 3 in the pool and then swap. Hope this helped.

_dance_girlxx

My daughter is turning 12 in September and we need cheap birthday ideas. She is having 4 friends over for a pamper/sleepover, but I would like to do an activity with them outside the house. Any suggestions? We have a bugdet of maybe $30-40, but I think she would also like to invite more friends to the out of house activity!

I am looking for fun things to do for a 12 year olds party.

By Raquel

Answers

Best Answer

My granddaughter had a Hollywood mystery party for her 10th birthday. My daughter-in-law bought dresses at the thrift store and they got all fancied up. Adults joined in the fun. My son even had a tux from thrift store; this took some time and searching. The cake was decorated like the Hollywood hills sign and each kid had a script. They loved it.

My younger sister is turning 12. She doesn't know what to do for her birthday. Last year she didn't do much because she couldn't decide, so this year I really want some ideas. Please help. Thank you.

By B.S.

Answers

Best Answer

What are her interests, and what kind of a kid is she? Is she shy, outgoing, does she have lots of casual friends or just one or two close ones? Match the party and activities to her style.

If she's more on the shy side, invite her close friends to join you doing something cool that she/they have never done before. Attending a live concert or a play, going to a rock-climbing gym.. something that matches her tastes and interests. You might also look into contra dancing, which is great fun, family-friendly, and has terriffic live music and a welcoming community.

If she's the outgoing type, with tons of BFFs, a party that engages the kids, gives them choices and makes them think can be a lot of fun. Have the food be "make your own." Think tacos, or burgers with lots of different toppings. They can all make their own sundaes for dessert. Most 12-year olds will never have done a scavenger hunt before, and there's no boy/girl awkardness if you randomly assign teammates by picking names out of a hat. That also avoids the "nobody wants me on their team" misery. Give prizes for things like most items found, the largest number of low-hidden or high-hidden items, the most red items, etc. You can also get them playing charades, another fun, old-fashioned game they've probably never heard of.

Another possibility for a big party would be something unusual and educational. As an example, a friend of mine is a reptile educator - she brings her animals to birthday parties and schools, talks about them, lets people handle the animals, and so on. Kids love it, especially the ones who start out afraid of snakes - they often end up leaving the party wanting one of their own. If your sister likes the idea, see what's available in your area.

My daughter is turning 12 in like a week and she wants a sleep over. My house is not big enough for all these kids. She can be girly and a tomboy. Please help. What should I do?

My daughter it having her 12th brithday party on the 20th-21st of September. She doesn't want a girly party as she is inviting boys. She wants a wet theme, but our pool will be too cold at the time of the party. Could I please have some ideas. There are approximitly 14 people coming.

By Jessica

Answers

Best Answer

Hawaiian Luau or tropical themes are easy and Oriental Trading Company has a lot of inexpensive decorations and such for that theme. I went to a luau party once where everyone got leis, they had tropical themed food, we had skewers (kids love making their own), and they had this silly vinyl plastic deal that you hang in a doorway where they have the hole for you to put your face in for pictures. I bet the kids would love that. Or another idea, for my 12th birthday we wrote a script and created our own movies with mock commercials- my mom filmed. It was extremely silly and we had a lot of fun (of course at the time camcorders were brand new, so it was a novelty). You could also see if you city has an indoor pool you could take them too. It's a pretty popular party option here.

My daughter is turning 12 in May and her birthday is the last day of school. Most of all of her friends are boys and she's not a girly girl. Any ideas?

By Alicia from Clarksville, TN

Answers

Best Answer

May is often a nice time of year to get outdoors so maybe you could stage the party at a public park or indeed any public space. A treasure hunt can be a huge hit with kids this age. It's a bit more grown up than a scavenger hunt - you'll need to give them clues to solve and follow. Depending on the numbers you could split them into teams, or just focus on getting them to co-operate with each other. It can be good to create a mix of clues that let different people shine - for instance you could have crytic clues, anagrams, directions that involve locating north or using a compass, map reading, memory clues, musical clues etc. Really the only limit is your imagination!

The hunt can take up a lot of time and running about outdoors will burn off lots of energy which pre-teen boys have in abundance! Follow it with either a picnic lunch or a barbecue if the local by-laws permit, and then some lazing about afterwards!

If a treasure hunt isn't appealing you could try a few thrift stores for some over-sized garden games. It's not hard to make some of your own: an old sheet could be painted to make a giant x-o's game, or a twister game. You could make a hoop toss out of cardboard hoops and sticks hammered into the ground.

Water fights are fun at any age, and a cheap alternative to paint ball and quasar type outings. You could hide stashes of water balloons in the back yard and round up any variety of water pistols from friends and family (everyone has at least one of these!) or as a "craft" the kids could make their own water pistols from plastic water bottles. Just be sure to let everyone know they will need a change of clothes!

If you prefer to plan an indoors party, center it around a quiet activity (I must sound paranoid about the energy levels of boys!). I'm imagining an indoor cinema - if you could beg or borrow or rent a projector. Could you clear the furniture out of a room, lay cushions and bean bags for the kids to lounge on, and hang a white sheet on the wall to create a movie screen (command hooks are the business for hanging anything and everything). Pick a movie with a sports or action theme. If you fill up the kids on home made popcorn while they watch the movie you can save a bundle on party food because they just won't be able to eat as much as normal!

My daughter is having her 12th bday this year. She wants to have a party at home with about 10 girls over. What can they do?

My daughter is turning 12 soon and she cannot decide what to do. Her previous ideas included having a sleepover with a close few after a larger party. She would still like to have a sleepover after the party, but she can't decide on what to do for the party. I am in Victoria, B.C., Canada. She is open to anything, but would prefer it not to be too girly. She is not a tomboy, but is athletic.
Thanks!

It's my daughter's 12th birthday in December and I need birthday ideas. I have to take into consideration that we invite the cousins who range in age from 1 to 13. There will be boys and girls and that it will be cold.

My daughter is turning 12 in 2 weeks and we can't find something to do. She wants to go somewhere with 9 friends and she doesn't want it at the house. We need to be under $100 and we live in Mentor, Ohio. Can someone help us find a party idea?

Load More