12th Birthday Party Ideas for Girls

Planning a successful birthday party for your young teen can be a challenge. This is a guide about 12th birthday party ideas for girls.

13 year old gift ideas
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

I have a sister who is 12 years old and she can't decide what to do for her party. I was wondering if anyone has any ideas of where to go?

By M-J from WA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

I love the idea about the $5 at the dollar store and then having a fashion show. We are going to use that with our daughter and her friends. Another idea - Our daughter loves halloween but was a summer baby. Her friends love the scavenger hunts my husband and myself come up with each year so this year we are replacing the lightbulbs with blacklights and having the scavinger hunt in the "glow in the dark." Then we take them roller skating from 7:30pm to 11:00pm to wear them down a bit before the slumber party. Last year was a late swimming session and everyone was asleep by 10 pm.

Best Answer

We held a water balloon party for my 12 year old Granddaughter. It was a huge hit with girls and boys alike. She invited her entire class and all but one came (just mention water balloons a kid will be there ;-)). You can buy water balloons cheaply at Walmart or purchase them online. We spread a giant superslide across the lawn to place all the water balloons on, we also purchased two small blow-up kid pools to store the balloons in (tip: don't stack them more than three balloons high or they will burst by themselves from the pressure). We attempted to play organized games with the balloons, but since these kids were middle school age, they had much more fun left on their own to have a huge water balloon fight (the only rule we had was no hitting in the face). The only thing I had to purchase was the water balloons, cake, ice cream, and streamers (I already had the blowup pools and superslide; if you don't have those call around and borrow them from friends/family). The cost of this type party is very inexpensive BUT there is a lot of planning and work involved. It is better to have all the water balloon filled before the party begins. My boyfriend and I started filling the water balloons two days before the party. Once you have filled the first hundred balloons you start to get faster at filling them, we ended up with 2300 water balloons for the party and 15 kids popped every one of them within an hour.

One last thing, I recommend having a little game in the end. Whichever kid picks up the most popped balloons from the grass gets $10 (otherwise your yard will be filled with little balloon pieces and it's not good for the birds to eat).

Best Answer

Ever since my daughter was little, we have done themed parties. They honestly are not as hard as one might think, and you can tie all your food and games into the theme as well. Some of the themes we used were a luau, 70's party, beach party, camping party, and this year for my daughter's 12th birthday we are having a fiesta themed party. For the camping theme we set up tents in the back yard, had a fire pit to roast hot dogs and marshmallows, had a scavenger hunt, potato sack races, egg on a spoon relay race, and flash light tag when it got dark. Just an example of what we did, but there are definitely more things you could do with this theme. Also we listen to scary camp stories around the campfire. We found recorded stories online, and the girls loved it. Hope this gives you some ideas.

Read More Answers...

My sister is turning 12 and I want to make this a great birthday for her, but I don't know what theme to do. Anyone got any ideas?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

A very easy online search for "teen birthday ideas" will produce many sites with lots of great ideas and themes!

My daughter is having her 12th birthday party and she's having about 25 girls over, but she doesn't know what to do. She wants to go somewhere fun and cheap. I would love if you could give some ideas. We live in Portland, examples: JJ Jump, Oaks Park, or Sky High.

By Madison

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
    Best Answer

I live in Portland too and Oaks Park is always a favorite. But with 25 girls that can also be very expensive. But there are the rides and roller skating maybe you could get a group rate on tickets or something.

If the weather is good you could go to a park and do outdoor activities.

I don't know what your budget is.

Sorry I can't come up with anymore suggestions

Best Answer

I grew up going to Oaks Park and have wonderful memories from there. (I live in So.Cal. now)

With 25 girls this is probably not the answer but years ago, with my daughter, I took them to a beauty school (pre-arranged) for a beauty treatments. It seems now a days that is not a treat for a lot of girls, but it could be an idea for another time or a smaller group....they could all get manicures,or something like that. More recently my daughter-in-law had a "spa" party in her home with different "beauty stations", mani's, pedi's, hairdo's, facials, makeup. She just got some high school girls who acted as beauticians. They took pictures later and put them in frames they had decorated while waiting for some of the "services". All felt very glamorous after it was all done, and oh yes they all brought special outfits to pose in. Your biggest problem is the number of girls involved. Good luck!

Read More Answers...

My daughter is going to be 12 soon and she wants to have some sort if party with a few friends. I don't have no clue at all. She said she doesn't want anything like bowling and she doesn't want anything too babyish. Can you please, please give me some ideas? Thank you.

By Chloe

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
    Best Answer

Go to the craft section at Walmart or to the craft store. There you can find great inexpensive craft ideas for her. T-shirts for $3-5 and tye-dye machine for $10 or friendship bracelet kits for $10-20 would make for a great time. There are plenty of foam stickers to decorate hats or notebooks and beaded jewelry parts galore. Good luck.

Best Answer

Have a make up party. Have the guests bring some old dress up clothes, what ever they want, put them in a pile on the bed. Then buy some cheap make up, eye shadow, liner, nail polish, etc. Do their hair. After they are all made up they can pick out some clothes to wear. You could have the girls bring old make up from home to have a larger assortment. I saw this some where. It sounds like something a 12 year old would like to try. Might be messy, but fun. Take a party picture to remember her birthday.

Read More Answers...

My daughter is having her 12th birthday in a couple of weeks. We're struggling for party ideas with a cheap, but cheerful price. Any suggestions?

By coolbeanwalker from west Sussex, north Yorkshire

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
    Best Answer

A cooking class is always a good idea that is what I did for my daughters. Make pizza and cupcakes!

Best Answer

Have like a pizza party, that would be excellent and then after order some go carts cart and race with friends and maybe play water war, too.

Read More Answers...

I currently live in Cleburne, Texas. My daughter is turning 12 in just 3 weeks, in October. She wants a birthday party with about 4-5 friends, but we have no clue what to do. She is girly, but sometimes can be a tomboy. We want something cheap and easy to plan, but really fun. She wants a slumber party, but my house is not that big. I need help now please!

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
      Best Answer

A very easy online search for "tween birthday party ideas" will produce many sites with lots of great ideas and themes.

Read More Answers...

My daughter is having a birthday party, but she doesn't want the girly-girl type because her friends that are boys are going to be there. And we need an inexpensive party place.

By Anonymous Queen

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
      Best Answer

We did an Indiana Jones theme party one year. My husband made up clues to find a "treasure" which he made by spraying some rocks with gold paint.

The clues were written in code (you could get ideas from Tolkien books or hieroglyphs online) He had the codes with English letters on a sheet so they could decode each clue. It cost really nothing other than food and paper and a can of paint. The kids LOVED it.

Another year we did a Chinese new year theme (my daughter's birthday is in January and we delayed the party a couple of weeks) They made paper lanterns, wrote some Chinese characters and food included Chinese eggrolls and fortune cookies.

Check out the book The Pennywhistle Party Book, its full of fun cheap party ideas.

Best Answer

I suggest a dance party. You could rent a local hall for 4 hours. You can bring a radio or an iPod with a dock. At Party Cit,y they sell a bubble machine for about $35 and strobe lights for $20! Also you can get props at the dollar store or Party City! Good luck and I hope my ideas helped.

Read More Answers...

My daughter is turning 12 in September and we need cheap birthday ideas. She is having 4 friends over for a pamper/sleepover, but I would like to do an activity with them outside the house. Any suggestions? We have a bugdet of maybe $30-40, but I think she would also like to invite more friends to the out of house activity!

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
        Best Answer

By "out of the house" do you mean movies or rollerskating, or do you just mean an outside activity. I always used to take my summer birthday parties to the pool, and I have taken a small group to the movies. If it is just outside, a trip to a park - perhaps even having the whole party there, might be nice. You could do a treasure hunt or a scavenger hunt, do activities that are available in the park - badminton, lawn bowling, soccer, etc. I am not sure if I am a big fan of having two groups of party-goers, unless she is inviting quite a large group for the main party, and a couple special friends for an extra sleepover. To invite some for the outing, but not for the main party seems ungracious to me.

Read More Answers...

My daughter is turning 12 in 6 days and she does not know where to go with her friends. We live in Concord, California. Can I have some ideas?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

A great birthday party idea for preteen girls is a Mall Madness birthday party. A Mall Madness birthday party is basically a scavenger hunt in the mall. For example, you could all meet at your house. Once everyone arrives, you could head to the mall. At the mall, everyone would split into groups and get things (a picture with the cashier or ask the cashier for a rubber band, etc.) Once a group gets everything on the list, they get a prize (gift card, toys, cash, beauty products, etc.) After that, pizza is a great way to end the day before everyone either goes home or spends the night! Hope this helps. :)

CommentMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

My daughter is celebrating her 12th birthday in July. We are all not sure what we would want to do. On previous birthdays we had parties. Now we would want to do something different. Please help.

By Naa B. from Ghana

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
            Best Answer

Just do cake and ice cream and a few gifts with your immediate family. I have never in my 72 years done anything special for any family member's birthdays. It was always an occasion for immediate family, mainly parent and siblings. Sometimes, depending on the day of the week aunts and uncles and grandparents would show up, but not too often.

Best Answer

I just heard the other day of a child that wanted no gifts other than have her guests bring something for the homeless shelter or some other organization that is dependent on donations. The local animal shelter always needs things as the shelter for battered women and the food bank. Just an idea. Then just have the cake and ice cream and play some games or go to the pool to cool off.

Read More Answers...

I have an almost 12 year old daughter and she seems to want to do more expensive stuff. What should I do?

By Jeni

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
            Best Answer

Depending on how far off it is, there may be time for her to dog walk/sit, babysit, spring is here, rake yards for half the cost of the party. Makes the kids figure out how much easier it is to spend parents money than make it.

I have had my kids beg off from doing the expense ONCE THEY HAVE EARNED IT. And they kept their neighborhood jobs up, one got his as a helper at the local theatre at 8 and now is 28, still doing those things for them, and changes the marquee so they don't climb up there. Means you never have to pay for going to the movies!

Best Answer

My kids have a budget for their birthday parties. They purchase the cake, snacks, favors, and pay for the activities. This really helps keep the parties reasonable, especially since they get to keep any money that's left over. I think this teaches an important lesson in budgeting (for example, they've learned that they can choose a more expensive activity if they invite fewer friends and have a homemade cake instead of a store bought one, and if they have the party at 2:00 they can save money by not buying pizzas, etc.).

When my daughter turned twelve she invited two friends to have manicures and pedicures done at the beauty school in town. This year for her 13th, she decided to skip the party entirely and put the money toward the phone we got her for her birthday.

Read More Answers...

What can a 12 year old do for her birthday?

AnswerMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

My daughter is 12 already (her birthday was in July), but we haven't had a party yet. She want's something with friends that is also safe for her 2 year old sister. She also wants to have a wet party, but our pool is way to small.

Load More
            Holidays and Parties Parties BirthdayFebruary 29, 2012
            Daughters Horse Riding Daddy
            Raising Girls
            12th Birthday Party
            Coed 12th Birthday Party Ideas
            Blue letter blocks spelling out happy birthday.
            17th Birthday Party Ideas for Girls
            12th Birthday Party
            12th Birthday Party Ideas for Boys
            © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 29, 2016 at 4:04:50 AM on 10.0.0.38 in 710 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.